Rebecca Pearl-Martinez is researching the prospects for decarbonization and a 'just' energy transition through an understanding of renewable energy financial instruments deployed in Latin America.
Rebecca served as Research Fellow and Head of the Renewable Equity Project at the Center for International Environment and Resource Policy (CIERP) at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, and Visiting Lecturer on climate change governance, at Tufts University. She is the 2016 recipient of the C3E Advocacy Award (Clean Energy Education & Empowerment Initiative) of US Department of Energy and Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
As a consultant to United Nations agencies and international organizations, Rebecca provided technical support on the the social dimensions of renewable energy and climate change policy. She conducted research on socio-economic trends influencing energy access (Sustainable Energy for All); led a global consultation process on large-scale renewable energy projects (USAID); served as data specialist for the Global Gender and Environment Outlook (UNEP); developed a curriculum for African energy sector professionals (Power Africa/USAID); created a country performance index that was nominated for a Katerva Award on sustainability innovations (IUCN); led research on national ownership of climate finance and on green jobs (Oxfam); convened UN agencies and non-government organizations to create the Global Gender and Climate Alliance (UNDP); and led the global Women’s Major Group process for the World Summit on Sustainable Development/Rio+10. She started her career with community development initiatives in Nicaragua and with the UN regional office in Ecuador. She studied Sustainable International Development (MA) at the Heller School for Social Policy and Management at Brandeis University, and political economy and environmental science (BA) at Evergreen College.
Rebecca participates in the Centre for Doctoral Training in Energy led by the Durham Energy Institute.
- Pearl-Martinez, Rebecca & Stephens, Jennie C. Toward a Gender Diverse Workforce in the Renewable Energy Transition. Sustainability: Science, Practice and Policy. 2017;12:8.
- Gurung, Jeannette & Pearl-Martinez, Rebecca Accelerating Investments in Women through Certification. Journal of Sustainable Finance and Banking. 2015;II.
- UN-DESA, Brewster, Marcia Herrmann, Thora Martina, Bleisch, Barbara & Pearl-Martinez, Rebecca A Gender Perspective on Water Resources and Sanitation. Journal of Transnational Women's and Gender Studies. 2006;3.
Chapter in book
- Pearl-Martinez, Rebecca The Andean Region: A Multi-Country Programme. In: Budlender, Debbie & Hewitt, Guy Gender Budgets Make Cents: Country Studies and Good Practice. Commonwealth Secretariat; 2002.
- Pearl-Martinez, Rebecca All In One Bucket? Combining Mitigation and Adaptation for Women's Empowerment. Arborvitae. 2011.
Other (Digital/Visual Media)
- Pearl-Martinez, Rebecca A Light Bulb Turns on for Women's Advancement. 2016;USAID/Power Africa.
- Pearl-Martinez, Rebecca All Hands on Deck: Who's Missing in the Clean Energy Workforce. 2016;Fletcher Forum of World Affairs.
- Pearl-Martinez, Rebecca Building an Information Bridge to Gender Equality. 2016;Fletcher Forum of World Affairs.
- Pearl-Martinez, Rebecca & Stephens, Jennie C. Dear Hillary: Where are the women in your energy strategy?. 2016;The Conversation.
- Lund, Brian & Pearl-Martinez, Rebecca Climate Accountability: A Two-Way Street. 2011;WRI World Resources Report.
- Reinventing Women’s Roles in the Energy Sector: Linking SDGs 2-4-5-7. DESA, United Nations Headquarters: Expert Group Meeting of the High Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development; 2018.
- Guest Lecture: Equity Considerations in Environmental Sectors. Fletcher School of Law & Diplomacy, Tufts University: Gender Theory and Praxis; 2016.
- Gender Data and the Clean Energy Economy. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, U.S. Department of Energy: C3E Symposium; 2015.
- Guest Lecture: Gender and Renewable Energy. Fletcher School of Law & Diplomacy, Tufts University: International Energy Policy; 2015.
- Toward a Gender Diverse Workforce in the Renewable Energy Transition (with Jennie C. Stephens). UMass Boston: Academy of International Business Northeast Frontier Conference; 2015.
- Gender Dimensions of Climate Change Adaptation and Disaster Risk Reduction. The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI), India: IUCN Asia Regional Climate Change Workshop; 2009.
- Gender Mainstreaming and Disaster Risk Reduction. Geneva: Workshop of the International Strategy for Disaster Reduction; 2008.
- Adaptation, Risk, Vulnerability, and Gender. Climate Adaptation Workshop, UNDP Bureau for Crisis Prevention and Recovery; 2007.
- Guest Lecture: Gender Budget Methodology in Latin America. Sustainable International Development Seminar, Brandeis University; 2003.
- Recommendations of the Women's Major Group at Rio+10. Johannesburg: Major Group Consultation with President of South Africa, World Summit on Sustainable Development; 2002.
- Pearl-Martinez, Rebecca Levers of Change: How Global Trends Impact Gender Equality and Social Inclusion in Access to Sustainable Energy. 2018.
- Pearl-Martinez, Rebecca Financing Women Farmers: The need to increase and redirect agriculture and climate adaptation resources. 2017.
- Pearl-Martinez, Rebecca Fine Words Do Not Produce Food: Escalating Nigeria's Investment in Farmers and Climate Change. 2017.
- Pearl-Martinez, Rebecca & Gore, Tim Feeding climate change: What the Paris Agreement means for food and beverage companies. 2016.
- Seager, Joni (Lead Author), et al & Pearl-Martinez, Rebecca (Data Specialist & Contributing Author) Global Gender and Environment Outlook. 2016.
- Pearl-Martinez, Rebecca Women at the Forefront of the Clean Energy Economy. 2014.
- IUCN & Pearl-Martinez, Rebecca (Coordinator) Climate Investment Funds Gender Review. 2013.
- Pearl-Martinez, Rebecca The Art of Implementation: Gender Strategies Transforming National and Regional Decision Making. 2013.
- Pearl-Martinez, Rebecca The Environment and Gender Index. 2013.
- Pearl-Martinez, Rebecca Owning Adaptation: Country-Level Governance of Climate Adaptation Finance. 2011.
- IUCN UNDP & UNEP Training Manual on Gender and Climate Change. 2009.
- Government of Greece, WEDO & Pearl-Martinez, Rebecca (coordinator) Human Security, Climate Change, and Gender Equality. 2008.
- Pearl-Martinez, Rebecca (co-author) Changing the Climate. 2007.
- WEDO & Pearl-Martinez, Rebecca (editor) Women’s Major Group Dialogue Paper. 2004.
- Pearl-Martinez, Rebecca Common Ground: Women’s Access to Natural Resources and the UN Millennium Development Goals. 2003.
- WEDO & Pearl-Martinez, Rebecca (contributor) Diverting the Flow: A Resource Guide to Gender, Rights, and Water Privatization. 2003.
- WEDO & Pearl-Martinez, Rebecca (co-author) Gender as a Cross-cutting Theme in Implementation of the World Summit on Sustainable Development (WSSD Rio+10). 2003.
- Khosla, Prabha & Pearl-Martinez, Rebecca Untapped Connections: Gender, Poverty, and Water. 2003.
- WEDO & Pearl-Martinez, Rebecca Gender Analysis of Johannesburg Plan of Implementation (Rio+10 outcome). 2002.
- WEDO & Pearl-Martinez, Rebecca Gender and the Millennium Development Goals. 2002.
- UNIFEM & Pearl-Martinez, Rebecca (co-author) Iniciativas presupuestarias sensibles al género en América Latina. 2000.