Professor Joe Painter, BA (Cambridge) PhD (Open University)
Professor in the Department of Geography
Professor, Urban Worlds
Fellow of the Wolfson Research Institute for Health and Wellbeing
Department of Geography
Department of Geography
- Community Learning and Research Network (CLARN)
- Reframing Citizen Relationships with the Public Sector in a Time of Austerity: Community Empowerment in England and Scotland
Department of Sociology
- Connecting Localism and Community Empowerment
- Vradis, A., Papada, E., Painter, J. & Papoutsi, A. (2018). New Borders: Hotspots and the European Migration Regime. Pluto Books.
- Painter, J. & Jeffrey, A. (2011). Geografia politica. Novara: UTET.
- Painter, J. & Jeffrey, A. (2009). Political geography: an introduction to space and power. London: Sage.
- Cloke, P., Cook, I., Crang, P., Goodwin, M., Painter, J. & Philo, C. (2004). Practising human geography. London: Sage.
- Featherstone, D. & Painter, J. (2013). Spatial politics: essays for Doreen Massey. RGS-IBG Book Series. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Atkinson, S., Fuller, S. & Painter, J. (2012). Wellbeing and place. Farnham: Ashgate.
Chapter in book
- Askins, K., Burton, K., Norcup, J., Painter, J. & Sidaway, J. (Forthcoming). The United Kingdom. In Placing Critical Geography: International Histories of Critical Geographies. Best, U. & Berg, L. Routledge.
- Lewis, S., Hudson, M. & Painter, J. (2018). Revealing a 'Hidden Civil War': a serendipitous methodology. In Messy ethnographies in action. Plows, A. Vernon Press. 13-22.
- Painter, J. (2015). Power. In The Wiley Blackwell companion to political geography. Agnew, J., Mamadouh, V., Secor, A.J. & Sharp, J. Chichester: Wiley-Blackwell. 141-151.
- Painter, J. (2011). Conceptualizing "society" and "state". In State, society, and transformation. Mitchneck, B.A. Washington, DC: Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars. 20-49.
- Vradis, Antonis, Papada, Evie, Papoutsi, Anna & Painter, Joe (2020). Governing mobility in times of crisis: Practicing the border and embodying resistance in and beyond the hotspot infrastructure. Environment and Planning D: Society and Space 38(6): 981-990.
- Papada, E, Papoutsi, A, Painter, J & Vradis, A (2020). Pop-up governance: transforming the management of migrant populations through humanitarian and security practices in Lesbos, Greece, 2015-2017. Environment and Planning D: Society and Space 38(6): 1028-1045.
- Papoutsi, A., Painter, J., Papada, E. & Vradis, A. (2019). The EC hotspot approach in Greece: creating liminal EU territory. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies 45(12): 2200-2212.
- Daley, P., McCann, E., Mountz, A. & Painter, J. (2017). Editorial. Re-imagining Politics and Space: Why here, why now?. Environment and Planning C: Politics and Space 35(1): 3-5.
- Painter, J., Papada, E., Papoutsi, A. & Vradis, A. (2017). Hotspot politics―or, when the EU state gets real. Political Geography 60: 259-260.
- Painter, J. (2017). Why we need to talk about money. Soundings: a Journal of Politics and Culture 66: 34-39.
- Painter, J. (2016). Doreen Massey (1944-2016): an appreciation. Soundings: a Journal of Politics and Culture 63: 38-44.
- Sharp, J., Cumbers, A., Painter, J. & Wood, N. (2014). Deciding whose future? Challenges and opportunities of the Scottish Independence Referendum 2014 for Scotland and beyond. Political Geography 41: 32-42.
- Painter, J. (2012). Regional biopolitics. Regional Studies 47(8): 1235-1248.
- Painter, J. (2012). The politics of the neighbour. Environment and Planning D: Society and Space 30(3): 515-533.
- Painter, J. (2010). Rethinking territory. Antipode: A Radical Journal of Geography 42(5): 1090-1118.
- Painter, J. (2006). Prosaic geographies of stateness. Political Geography 25(7): 752-774.
- Painter, J. (2006), Territory-network, Association of American Geographers. Annual Meeting. Chicago, USA, Chicago IL.
- Painter, J., Orton, A., MacLeod, D.G., Dominelli, L. & Pande, R. (2011). Connecting localism and community empowerment: research review and critical synthesis for the AHRC Connected Community Programme.