Professor Joe Painter, BA (Cambridge) PhD (Open University)
Professor in the Department of Geography
Telephone: +44 (0) 191 33 41906
Fax: +44 (0) 191 33 41801
Room number: 413
Professor, Urban Worlds
Fellow of the Wolfson Research Institute for Health and Wellbeing
Department of Geography
Department of Geography
- Community Learning and Research Network (CLARN)
- Reframing Citizen Relationships with the Public Sector in a Time of Austerity: Community Empowerment in England and Scotland
Department of Sociology
- Connecting Localism and Community Empowerment
- Vradis, A., Papada, E., Painter, J. & Papoutsi, A. (2018). New Borders: Hotspots and the European Migration Regime. Pluto Books.
- Painter, J. & Jeffrey, A. (2011). Geografia politica. Novara: UTET.
- Painter, J. & Jeffrey, A. (2009). Political geography: an introduction to space and power. London: Sage.
- Cloke, P., Cook, I., Crang, P., Goodwin, M., Painter, J. & Philo, C. (2004). Practising human geography. London: Sage.
- Featherstone, D. & Painter, J. (2013). Spatial politics: essays for Doreen Massey. RGS-IBG Book Series. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Atkinson, S., Fuller, S. & Painter, J. (2012). Wellbeing and place. Farnham: Ashgate.
Chapter in book
- Askins, K., Burton, K., Norcup, J., Painter, J. & Sidaway, J. (Forthcoming). The United Kingdom. In Placing Critical Geography: International Histories of Critical Geographies. Best, U. & Berg, L. Routledge.
- Lewis, S., Hudson, M. & Painter, J. (2018). Revealing a 'Hidden Civil War': a serendipitous methodology. In Messy ethnographies in action. Plows, A. Vernon Press. 13-22.
- Painter, J. (2015). Power. In The Wiley Blackwell companion to political geography. Agnew, J., Mamadouh, V., Secor, A.J. & Sharp, J. Chichester: Wiley-Blackwell. 141-151.
- Painter, J. (2011). Conceptualizing "society" and "state". In State, society, and transformation. Mitchneck, B.A. Washington, DC: Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars. 20-49.
- Vradis, Antonis, Papada, Evie, Papoutsi, Anna & Painter, Joe (2020). Governing mobility in times of crisis: Practicing the border and embodying resistance in and beyond the hotspot infrastructure. Environment and Planning D: Society and Space 38(6): 981-990.
- Papada, E, Papoutsi, A, Painter, J & Vradis, A (2020). Pop-up governance: transforming the management of migrant populations through humanitarian and security practices in Lesbos, Greece, 2015-2017. Environment and Planning D: Society and Space 38(6): 1028-1045.
- Papoutsi, A., Painter, J., Papada, E. & Vradis, A. (2019). The EC hotspot approach in Greece: creating liminal EU territory. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies 45(12): 2200-2212.
- Daley, P., McCann, E., Mountz, A. & Painter, J. (2017). Editorial. Re-imagining Politics and Space: Why here, why now?. Environment and Planning C: Politics and Space 35(1): 3-5.
- Painter, J., Papada, E., Papoutsi, A. & Vradis, A. (2017). Hotspot politics―or, when the EU state gets real. Political Geography 60: 259-260.
- Painter, J. (2017). Why we need to talk about money. Soundings: a Journal of Politics and Culture 66: 34-39.
- Painter, J. (2016). Doreen Massey (1944-2016): an appreciation. Soundings: a Journal of Politics and Culture 63: 38-44.
- Sharp, J., Cumbers, A., Painter, J. & Wood, N. (2014). Deciding whose future? Challenges and opportunities of the Scottish Independence Referendum 2014 for Scotland and beyond. Political Geography 41: 32-42.
- Painter, J. (2012). Regional biopolitics. Regional Studies 47(8): 1235-1248.
- Painter, J. (2012). The politics of the neighbour. Environment and Planning D: Society and Space 30(3): 515-533.
- Painter, J. (2010). Rethinking territory. Antipode: A Radical Journal of Geography 42(5): 1090-1118.
- Painter, J. (2006). Prosaic geographies of stateness. Political Geography 25(7): 752-774.
- Painter, J. (2006), Territory-network, Association of American Geographers. Annual Meeting. Chicago, USA, Chicago IL.
- Painter, J., Orton, A., MacLeod, D.G., Dominelli, L. & Pande, R. (2011). Connecting localism and community empowerment: research review and critical synthesis for the AHRC Connected Community Programme.