Professor Gavin Bridge
Professor in the Department of Geography
Telephone: +44 (0) 191 33 43502
Fax: +44 (0) 191 33 41801
Room number: 231
Fellow in the Durham Energy Institute
Professor, Economy and Culture
Professor, Geographies of Life
Current PhD Supervisions
- Pietra Cepero Rua Perez, The politics of nature and mining the Amazon: territory, materiality and extraction in Pará, Brazil
- Eric Boyd (co-supervised with Anthropology), Shifting ontologies of iron ore: enframing extractive resources during the relocation and redevelopment of Kiruna, Sweden
- Carlos Tornel, A just energy transition in Mexico? Assessing the socio-spatial, and socio-technical implications of incorporating renewable energy projects into the energy system
- Burag Gurden, Governing the energy-water nexus: sustainable resource governance for development in Turkey
- Costanza Concetti, Scaling Down Power: a geography of electricity prosumption
- Miklos Durr, Digitising Mobility: an urban political ecology of climate-smart transport networks
- Yu-Kai Liao, Crustacean Capitalism in The Amphibious Mekong Delta: Dynamic Relations of Land-water and Agro-aquaculture
- Ryan Wyeth, Knowing water-as-resource: the political ecology of 'green-power' hydro-development in Georgia
- Diego Astorga de Ita, "Through the old forest of / mahogany and cedar": environmental change and the landscapes of music in the Sotavento region of eastern Mexico
- Graham Clark, Understanding hazard correlation: the impacts to the insurance industry
Completed PhD Supervisions
- Dr Hung-Ying Chen, Air Rights as Market Devices: Exploring Financialization in Taipei Metropolitan Area
- Dr Julie de los Reyes, Mining Shareholder Value: Financialisation, Extraction, and the Geography of Gold Mining
- Dr Diego Andreucci, The Political Ecology of Resource Dependence: Extractivism, Conflict and Development in Latin America
- Dr Chun-Kai Leung, Fuelling the Dragon: a Geographical Political Economy of the Natural Gas Industry in China
- Dr Philip Robinson, A Political Ecology of Bovine Tuberculosis Eradication in Northern Ireland
- Dr Ralitsa Hiteva, Geographies of Energy Governance: Negotiating Low Carbon and Energy Secure Futures in the European Union
- Dr Hugo Romero, Disturbance and Disruption in Chilean Patagonia: a Political Economy of the HidroAysen Hydro-Power Project
- Dr Tomas Frederiksen, Unearthing Rule: Mining, Power and the Political Ecology of Extraction in Colonial Zambia
- Dr Denise Humphreys-Bebbington, The Political Ecology of Natural Gas Extraction in Southern Bolivia
- Dr Raihana Ferdous, Towards a Spatial Understanding of Solar Energy Transition: The Making of a Solar Energy Market in Bangladesh and the Experiences of On-grid and Off-grid Households
Department of Geography
Durham Energy Institute
- Energy Policy Group
- Questions of property, access and control associated with 'new geographies' of resource production and consumption
- Political ecologies of resource scarcity and security
- The organisation of global production networks for raw materials, particularly those associated with old and new 'carbon economies'
- The ways in which the material character of 'biophysical' resources shapes their appropriation, commodification and marketisation
- Geographies of energy transition and governance
- Bridge, G, Barr, S, Bouzarovski, S, Bradshaw, M, Brown, E, Bulkeley, H & Walker, G (2018). Energy and Society: a critical perspective. Routledge.
- Bridge, G & Le Billon, P (2017). Oil. Polity.
- Bridge, G. & Le Billon, P. (2013). Oil. Cambridge: Polity.
- Perreault, T., Bridge, G. & McCarthy, J. (2015). Routledge Handbook of Political Ecology. Routledge.
Chapter in book
- Bridge, G, Barca, S, Özkaynak, B, Turhan, E & Wyeth, R (2018). Towards a Political Ecology of EU Energy Policy. In Advancing Energy Policy: Lessons on the Integration of Social Sciences and Humanities. Foulds, C & Robison, R Palgrave. 163-175.
- Bridge, G & Bradshaw, M (2015). Deepening Globalisation: economies, trade and energy systems. In Global Energy: Issues, Potentials and Policy Implications. Ekins, P, Bradshaw, M & Watson, J Oxford University Press. 52-72.
- Barca, S. & Bridge, G. (2015). Industrialisation and environmental change. In The Routledge Handbook of Political Ecology. Perreault, T., Bridge, G. & McCarthy, J. Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge. 366-377.
- Bradshaw, M, Dutton, J & Bridge, G (2015). The geopolitical economy of a globalising gas market. In Global Energy: Issues, Potentials and Policy Implications. Ekins, P, Bradshaw, M & Watson, J Oxford University Press. 291-305.
- Bridge, G. (2014). The Resource Archipelago: spatial aesthetics and resource ecologies. In World of Matter. Arns, I Sternberg Press. 64-73.
- Bridge, G. (2010). Past peak oil: political economy of energy crises. In Global Political Ecology. Peet, R., Robbins, P. & Watts, M. 307-324.
- Kuzemko, Caroline, Bradshaw, Michael, Bridge, Gavin, Goldthau, Andreas, Jewell, Jessica, Overland, Indra, Scholten, Daniel, van de Graaf, Thijs & Westphal, Kirsten (2020). Covid-19 and the Politics of Sustainable Energy Transitions. Energy Research & Social Science 68: 101685.
- Banoub, D., Bridge, G., Bustos, B., Ertör, I., González-Hidalgo, M. & de los Reyes, J. (2020). Industrial Dynamics on the Commodity Frontier: managing time, space and form in mining, tree plantations and intensive aquaculture. Environment and Planning E: Nature and Space
- Bridge, Gavin & Gailing, Ludger (2020). New energy spaces: Towards a geographical political economy of energy transition. Environment and Planning A: Economy and Space 52(6): 1037-1050.
- Bridge, G., Bulkeley, H., Langley, P. & van Veelen, B. (2020). Pluralizing and Problematizing Carbon Finance. Progress in Human Geography 44(4): 724-742.
- Kuchler, Magdalena & Bridge, Gavin (2018). Down the black hole: Sustaining national socio-technical imaginaries of coal in Poland. Energy Research & Social Science
- Bridge, Gavin, Özkaynak, Begüm & Turhan, Ethemcan (2018). Energy infrastructure and the fate of the nation: Introduction to special issue. Energy Research & Social Science 41: 1-11.
- Bridge, G. (2018). The map is not the territory: A sympathetic critique of energy research’s spatial turn. Energy Research & Social Science 36: 11-20.
- Bridge, G & Bradshaw, M. (2017). Making a Global Gas Market: Territoriality and Production Networks in Liquefied Natural Gas. Economic Geography 93(3): 215-240.
- Bridge, G.J. (2015). Energy (in)security: world-making in an age of scarcity. The Geographical Journal 181(4): 328-339.
- Bridge, G (2015). The Hole World: scales and spaces of extraction. Scenario Journal 5.
- Bridge, G (2014). Resource geographies II: the resource-state nexus. Progress in Human Geography 38(1): 118-130.
- Bridge, G., Bouzarovski, S., Bradshaw, M. & Eyre, N. (2013). Geographies of energy transition: Space, place and the low-carbon economy. Energy Policy 53: 331-340.
- Bridge, G. (2013). The Hole World: scales and spaces of extraction. New Geographies 2: 43-8.
- Bridge, G. & Fredriksen, T. (2012). ‘Order out of Chaos’ Resources, Hazards and the Production of a Tin-Mining Economy in Northern Nigeria in the Early Twentieth Century. Environment and History 18(3): 367-394.
- Bridge, G. (2011). Resource geographies 1 Making carbon economies, old and new. Progress in Human Geography 35(6): 820-834.
- Bridge, G. (2010). Geographies of peak oil: The other carbon problem. Geoforum 41(4): 523-530.
- Bridge, G. & Wood, A. (2010). Less is more: Spectres of scarcity and the politics of resource access in the upstream oil sector. Geoforum 41(4): 565–576.
- Bridge, G. (2008). Global production networks and the extractive sector: governing resource-based development. Journal of Economic Geography 8(3): 389-419.