Publication details for Professor Robin HendryHendry, Robin (2016). Immanent Philosophy of X. Studies in History and Philosophy of Science Part A 55: 36-42.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0039-3681 (print)
- DOI: 10.1016/j.shpsa.2015.08.008
- Keywords: History of science, Philosophy of science, Sociology of science.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
In this paper I examine the relationship between historians, philosophers and sociologists of science, and indeed scientists themselves. I argue that (i) they co-habit a shared intellectual territory (science and its past); and (ii) they should be able to do so peacefully, and with mutual respect, even if they disagree radically about how to describe the methods and results of science. I then go on to explore some of the challenges to mutually respectful cohabitation between history, philosophy and sociology of science. I conclude by identifying a familiar kind of project in the philosophy of science which seeks to explore the worldview of a particular scientific discipline, and argue that it too has a right to explore the shared territory even though some historians and sociologists may find it methodologically suspect.