Dr Joe Saunders
Associate Professor/Admissions/Widening Participation Officer/Director of Digital Learning
|Associate Professor/Admissions/Widening Participation Officer/Director of Digital Learning in the Department of Philosophy|
Monday, online 3-4 (drop me an email to set up a meeting).
Joe primarily works on ethics and agency in Kant and the post-Kantian tradition. He also has interests in the philosophy of love and media ethics.
Joe is currently:
- Treasurer for the Hegel Society of Great Britain
- On the Executive Committee of the United Kingdom Kant Society
In Durham, he also serves as:
- Admissions/Widening Participation Officer
- Director of Online Learning
- Post-Kantian Philosophy
- Media Ethics
- Free Will
- 2018: Defining Freedom of the Press: A Cross national examination of press ethics and regulation in ten European countries(£11225.00 from AHRC)
- 2015: Winner of the Robert Papazian Annual Essay Prize: Kant and the Problem of Recognition
Available for media contact about:
- Ethics, Religion & Beliefs: Philosophy
- Ethics: Philosophy
- Philosophy: Philosophy
- Fox, Carl. & Saunders, Joe. (2019). Media Ethics, Free Speech, and the Requirements of Democracy. Routledge.
- Dalziel, Paul, Saunders, Caroline & Saunders, Joe (2018). Wellbeing Economics: The Capabilities Approach to Prosperity. Cham: Palgrave Macmillan.
Chapter in book
- McKeever, Natasha & Saunders, Joe (2023). Love. In Encyclopedia of the Philosophy of Law and Social Philosophy. Sellers, Mortimer & Kirste, Stephan Springer. 1-5.
- Saunders, Joe (2020). Dark Advertising and the Democratic Process. In Big Data and Democracy. Macnish, Kevin & Galliott, Jai Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.
- Saunders, Joe (2019). Lynton Crosby and the Dark Arts of Democracy. In Media Ethics, Free Speech, and the Requirements of Democracy. Fox, Carl & Saunders, Joe New York: Routledge. 53-68.
- McKeever, Natasha & Saunders, Joe (2022). Irrational Love: Taking Romeo and Juliet Seriously. International Journal of Philosophical Studies 30(3): 254-275.
- Saunders, Joe (2022). Timeless Freedom in Kant: Transcendental Freedom and Things-in-Themselves. History of Philosophy Quarterly 39(3): 275-292.
- Sticker, Martin & Saunders, Joe (2022). Why we go wrong: beyond Kant’s dichotomy between duty and self-love. Inquiry
- Saunders, Joe (2021). Some Hope for Kant’s Groundwork III. Inquiry: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Philosophy
- Saunders, Joe & Sticker, Martin (2020). Moral Education and Transcendental Idealism. Archiv für Geschichte der Philosophie 102(4): 646-673.
- Saunders, Joe (2019). Hegel, Norms and Ontology. History of Philosophy Quarterly 36(3): 279-297.
- Saunders, Joe (2019). Kant and Degrees of Responsibility. Journal of Applied Philosophy 36(1): 137-154.
- Saunders, Joe (2018). Transcendental Freedom and its Discontents. Con-Textos Kantianos (International Journal of Philosophy) 1(8): 319-322.
- Williams, Neil W. & Saunders, Joe (2018). Practical grounds for belief: Kant and James on religion. European Journal of Philosophy 26(4): 1269-1282.
- Saunders, Joe (2018). Taking love seriously: McTaggart, absolute reality and chemistry. British Journal for the History of Philosophy 26(4): 719-737.
- Saunders, Joe (2016). The Value of Practical Knowledge: Against Engstrom’s Constructivism. Hegel Bulletin 37(01): 117-136.
- Saunders, Joe (2016). Kant and the Problem of Recognition: Freedom, Transcendental Idealism, and the Third-Person. International Journal of Philosophical Studies 24(2): 164-182.
- Saunders, Joe (2014). Kant, Rational Psychology and Practical Reason. Kant Yearbook 6(1): 115-136.
- Stern, Robert (editor), Bennett, Chris, Leech, Jessica, Saunders, Joe & Texter, Mark (trans.) (2020). Løgstrup, Knud: Kierkegaard's and Heidegger's Analysis of Existence and its Relation to Proclamation . Oxford University Press
- Bennett, Christopher, Saunders, Joe & Stern, Robert (trans.) (2019). Kant: Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Morals . Oxford University Press
Mr Charles Coatsworth