Publication details for Dr Simon Paul JamesJames, Simon P. (2015). Why Old Things Matter. Journal of Moral Philosophy 12(3): 313-329.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 1740-4681, 1745-5243
- DOI: 10.1163/17455243-4681038
- Keywords: Respect, Age, Virtue ethics, Inanimate objects, Narrative, Humility.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
It is, I suggest, unclear whether any old inanimate objects deserve to be treated with respect simply because they are old. Yet this does not entail that an object’s age has no bearing at all on the question of how it may permissibly be treated. I defend the claim that those who fail to take seriously the histories of old inanimate objects typically deserve to be criticized on aretaic grounds. Such people, I argue, tend to lack the virtue of humility.