Publication details for Dr Simon Paul JamesJames, Simon P. (2019). Suffering and the Primacy of Virtue. Analysis
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0003-2638, 1467-8284
- DOI: 10.1093/analys/anz049
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Some people claim that some instances of suffering are intrinsically bad in an impersonal way. If it were true, that claim might seem to count against virtue ethics and for consequentialism. Drawing on the works of Jason Kawall, Christine Swanton and Nietzsche, I consider some reasons for thinking that it is, however, false. I argue, moreover, that even if it were true, a virtue ethicist could consistently acknowledge its truth.