Publication details for Dr Joe SaundersSaunders, Joe (2018). Taking love seriously: McTaggart, absolute reality and chemistry. British Journal for the History of Philosophy 26(4): 719-737.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0960-8788, 1469-3526
- DOI: 10.1080/09608788.2017.1393617
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
- View in another repository - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
McTaggart takes love seriously. He rejects rival accounts that look to reduce love to pleasure, moral approbation or a fitting response to someone’s qualities. In addition, he thinks that love reveals something about the structure of the universe, and that in absolute reality, we could all love each other. In this paper, I follow McTaggart in his rejection of rival accounts of love, but distance myself from his own account of love in absolute reality. I argue that in claiming that we could all love each other, he fails to adequately account for an important part of the phenomena of love, namely chemistry.