Publication details for Dr Matthew TugbyTugby, Matthew (2015). The Alien Paradox. Analysis 75(1): 28-37.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0003-2638 (print), 1467-8284 (electronic)
- DOI: 10.1093/analys/anu113
- Keywords: Platonism, Possibility, Alien properties, Truthmaking.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Platonism delivers a theory of possibility that is distinct from both Lewisian modal realism and ersatz modal theories. By putting the topic of alien properties at centre stage in our modal theorizing, a strong preliminary case for platonism can be made. A puzzle about alien properties is created by modern truthmaker theory and some plausible assumptions about properties and existence. But this puzzle is one that platonism is able to solve in a simple and conservative way.