Publication details for Dr Wendy ParkerParker, Wendy (2015). Getting (even more) serious about similarity. Biology & Philosophy 30(2): 267-276.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0169-3867 (print), 1572-8404 (electronic)
- DOI: 10.1007/s10539-013-9406-y
- Keywords: Similarity, Models, Weisberg.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
Author(s) from Durham
This paper critically examines Weisberg’s weighted feature matching account of model-world similarity. A number of concerns are raised, including that Weisberg provides an account of what underlies scientific judgments of relative similarity, when what is desired is an account of the sorts of model-target similarities that are necessary or sufficient for achieving particular types of modeling goal. Other concerns relate to the details of the account, in particular to the content of feature sets, the nature of shared features and the assumed independence of feature weightings.