Publication details for Dr Wendy ParkerGramelsberger, G., Lenhard, J. & Parker, W.S. (2020). Philosophical Perspectives on Earth System Modeling: Truth, Adequacy, and Understanding. Journal of Advances in Modeling Earth Systems 12(1).
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 1942-2466 (print), 1942-2466 (electronic)
- DOI: 10.1029/2019MS001720
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
We explore three questions about Earth system modeling that are of both scientific and philosophical interest: What kind of understanding can be gained via complex Earth system models? How can the limits of understanding be bypassed or managed? How should the task of evaluating Earth system models be conceptualized?