Publication details for Professor Thom BrooksBrooks, Thom (2016). In Defence of Punishment and the Unified Theory of Punishment: A Reply. Criminal Law and Philosophy 10(3): 629-638.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 1871-9791, 1871-9805
- DOI: 10.1007/s11572-014-9348-8
- Keywords: Expressivism, Hegel, Legal moralism, Retribution, Unified theory of punishment.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
My book, Punishment, has three aims: to provide the most comprehensive and updated examination of the philosophy of punishment available, to advance a new theory—the unified theory of punishment—as a compelling alternative to available theories and to consider the relation of theory to practice. In his recent review article, Mark Tunick raises several concerns with my analysis. I address each of these concerns and argue they rest largely on misinterpretations which I restate and clarify here.