Publication details for Professor Nancy CartwrightCartwright, N. & Davis, J.B. (2016). Economics as Science. In Who Runs the Economy? The Role of Power in Economics. Skidelsky, R. & Craig, N. London: Palgrave Macmillan. 43-55.
- Publication type: Chapter in book
- ISSN/ISBN: 9781137580184, 9781137580177
- DOI: 10.1057/978-1-137-58017-7_4
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
The plan for this talk is to discuss, first, the question ‘What is science?’ I’m going to explain that the second question, ‘Does economics fit the bill?’, is hard to answer since we have no good answer to the first question. Then I shall turn to the question, ‘Does economics’ standing as a science give it special power?’ Here, I shall point out that whether its knowledge constitutes science or not, economics does have esoteric knowledge that provides it with hidden sources of power.