Dr Simon Paul James, BSc, MA, PhD
(email at email@example.com)
I came to philosophy by a roundabout route, taking a BSc in Biological Sciences, followed by an MA in the History and Philosophy of Science, before obtaining a PhD for a thesis on environmental ethics in 2001. I am currently an Associate Professor (Reader) in the Department of Philosophy.
My work engages with a wide range of issues in environmental philosophy, from Buddhist approaches to wildlife conservation to our moral relations with rock formations, and from the (so-called) problem of animal minds to the virtue ethical question of whether a good life must be a green life.
In my spare time, I enjoy playing guitar and (with Helen and my daughter Emily) walking in wild (or wildish) places.
During term time: 1-4 on Thursdays.
- Applied Phenomenology
- Environmental philosophy
- Existential phenomenology
- Buddhist philosophy
- James, Simon P. (2015). Environmental Philosophy: An Introduction. Cambridge: Polity Press.
- James, Simon. (2009). The Presence of Nature: A Study in Phenomenology and Environmental Philosophy. Houndmills, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Cooper, David E. & James, Simon P. (2005). Buddhism, Virtue and Environment. Aldershot: Ashgate.
- James, Simon P. (2004). Zen Buddhism and Environmental Ethics. Aldershot: Ashgate.
Chapter in book
- James, Simon P. (2016). Phenomenology and the Charge of Anthropocentrism. In Nature and Experience: Phenomenology and the Environment. Bannon, Bryan Rowmann & Littlefield. 43-52.
- James, Simon P. (2014). Green Managerialism and the Erosion of Meaning. In Old World and New World Perspectives on Environmental Philosophy: Transatlantic Conversations. Drenthen, M. & Keulartz, J. Cham, Switzerland: Springer. 139-150.
- James, Simon P. (2013). Buddhism and Environmental Ethics. In A Companion to Buddhist Philosophy. Emmanuel, Steven M. Chichester: Wiley-Blackwell. 601-612.
- James, Simon P. (2012). Conserving Nature's Meanings. In Embodied Values and the Environment. Brady, E. & Phemister, P. Springer.
- James, Simon P. (2008). Asian Philosophy. In Encyclopedia of Environmental Ethics and Philosophy. Gale.
- James, Simon P. & Cooper, David E. (2008). Buddhism and the Environment. Contemporary Buddhism, 8 (2): Taylor and Francis.
- James, Simon P. (Accepted). Madhyamaka, Metaphysical Realism and the Possibility of an Ancestral World. Philosophy East and West 69(1).
- James, Simon P. (2018). Merleau-Ponty and Metaphysical Realism. European Journal of Philosophy
- James, Simon P. (2016). Ecosystem Services and the Value of Places. Ethical Theory and Moral Practice 19(1): 101-113.
- James, Simon P. (2016). Letting Nature take its Course (editorial for Environmental Values). Environmental Values 25(4): i-iv.
- James, Simon P. (2016). Protecting Nature for the Sake of Human Beings. Ratio 29(2): 213-227.
- James, Simon P. (2016). The Trouble with Environmental Values. Environmental Values 25(2): 131-144.
- James, Simon P. (2015). Cultural Ecosystem Services: A Critical Assessment. Ethics, Policy & Environment 18(3): 338-350.
- James, Simon P. (2015). Why Old Things Matter. Journal of Moral Philosophy 12(3): 313-329.
- James, Simon P. (2014). “Nothing Truly Wild is Unclean” Muir, Misanthropy, and the Aesthetics of Dirt. Environmental Ethics 36(3): 357-363.
- James, Simon P. (2013). Cherished Places and Ecosystem Services. Ethics, Policy & Environment 16(3): 264-266.
- James, Simon P. (2013). Finding - and Failing to Find - Meaning in Nature. Environmental Values 22(5): 609-625.
- James, Simon P. (2013). Philistinism and the Preservation of Nature. Philosophy 88(01): 101-114.
- James, Simon P. (2011). For the Sake of a Stone? Inanimate Things and the Demands of Morality. Inquiry 54(4): 384-397.
- James, Simon P. (2009). Phenomenology and the Problem of Animal Minds. Environmental Values 18(1): 33-49.
- James, Simon P. (2007). Against Holism: Rethinking Buddhist Environmental Ethics. Environmental Values 16.
- James, Simon P. (2007). Merleau-Ponty, Metaphysical Realism and the Natural World.*. International Journal of Philosophical Studies 15(4): 501-519.
- James Simon P. (2006). ‘Buddhism and the Ethics of Species Conservation’. Environmental Values 15(1): 85-97.
- James, Simon P. (2006). Human Virtues and Natural Values. Environmental Ethics 28(4): 339-354.
- James, Simon P. (2005). Awakening to Language in Heidegger and Zen. International Journal of Field Being 2(2).
- James, S. P. (2015). The New Greenspeak. Earth Island Journal 30(1).
- James, Simon P. (2017). Conflict and Resolution (editorial for Environmental Values). 26(5): 535-538.
Available for media contact about:
- Education & awareness: Environmental ethics
- Ethics: Environmental ethics
- Philosophy: Environmental ethics
- Religion: Environmental ethics