Dr James Miller
My research is primarily on topics in metaphysics and formal ontology, the philosophy of language and linguistics, and metaphilosophy. I am also interested in the history of analytic philosophy, in particular the work of Rudolf Carnap, and have written a number of pieces outlining and examining the philosophy of EJ Lowe.
At the moment, I'm working on topics in the metaphysics of language (especially the ontology of words), and topics in meta-metaphysics. I am currently writing a monograph on metaphysical realism and anti-realism, to be published as part of the Cambridge Elements in Metaphysics series.
I recently edited the Routledge Handbook of Metametaphysics, and am finalising another edited volume, titled 'The Language of Ontology' to be published by Oxford University Press.
Previously, I worked at Nottingham University and Trinity College Dublin in teaching-focused roles.
During 2020-21 academic year, my office hours are online only, on Tuesdays 1-4pm via Microsoft Teams (Durham students have access to this via your Durham Microsoft 365 accounts, info here: https://www.dur.ac.uk/cis/email/studentemail/office/).
- History of Analytic Philosophy
- Philosophy of Language
- Philosophy of Linguistics
Chapter in book
- Miller, J. T. M. (2020). Metaphysics as the Science of the Possible. In The Routledge Handbook of Metametaphysics. Routledge. 480-491.
- Bliss, R. & Miller, J. T. M. (2020). The Routledge Handbook of Metametaphysics. Routledge.
- Miller, J. T. M. (2020). On the individuation of words. Inquiry 63(8): 875-884.
- Miller, J. T. M. (2020). The ontology of words: Realism, nominalism, and eliminativism. Philosophy Compass 15(7): e12691.
- Miller, J. T. M. (2019). A bundle theory of words. Synthese
- Miller, J. T. M. (2019). Natural Name Theory and Linguistic Kinds. The Journal of Philosophy 116(9): 494-508.
- Miller, J. T. M. (2018). Are All Primitives Created Equal?. The Southern Journal of Philosophy 56(2): 273-292.
- Miller, J.T.M. (2017). Language and ontological emergence. Philosophica 91: 105-143.
- Miller, J. T. M. (2016). Can an Ontological Pluralist Really be a Realist?. Metaphilosophy 47(3): 425-430.
- Miller, J. T. M. (2016). The Non-existence of Ontological Categories: A defence of Lowe. Metaphysica 17(2): 163-176.
- Hughes, Thomas J. & Miller, J. T. M. (2014). Lexicalisation and the Origin of the Human Mind. Biosemiotics 7(1): 11-27.