Dr Joe Saunders
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Mondays, 1-4. Room 104, 51 Old Elvet (it's a little tricky to find, so I'd recommend asking for directions at reception).
Joe primarily works on ethics and agency in Kant and the post-Kantian tradition. He also has interests in the philosophy of love and media ethics.
He is part of an AHRC grant, currently investigating freedom of the press and regulation: http://defining-freedom-of-the-press.info/
He also organises a regular philosophy and film event at the Hyde Park Picture House in Leeds.
Joe is currently:
- Treasurer for the Hegel Society of Great Britain
- On the Executive Committee of the United Kingdom Kant Society
In Durham, he also serves as:
- Admissions/Widening Participation Officer
- Combined Honours in Social Sciences Advisor and Exam Board Rep
Indicators of Esteem
- 2015: Winner of the Robert Papazian Annual Essay Prize: Kant and the Problem of Recognition
- Free Will
- Media Ethics
- Post-Kantian Philosophy
- European Philosophy
- Issues in Contemporary Ethics
- Reading Philosophy (Sartre)
- Fox, Carl. & Saunders, Joe. (2019). Media Ethics, Free Speech, and the Requirements of Democracy. Routledge.
- Dalziel, Paul, Saunders, Caroline & Saunders, Joe (2018). Wellbeing Economics: The Capabilities Approach to Prosperity. Cham: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Saunders, Joe & Sticker, Martin (2020). Moral Education and Transcendental Idealism. Archiv für Geschichte der Philosophie
- Saunders, Joe (2019). Hegel, Norms and Ontology. History of Philosophy Quarterly 36(3): 279-297.
- Saunders, Joe (2019). Kant and Degrees of Responsibility. Journal of Applied Philosophy 36(1): 137-154.
- Williams, Neil W. & Saunders, Joe (2018). Practical grounds for belief: Kant and James on religion. European Journal of Philosophy 26(4): 1269-1282.
- Saunders, Joe (2018). Taking love seriously: McTaggart, absolute reality and chemistry. British Journal for the History of Philosophy 26(4): 719-737.
- Saunders, Joe (2018). Transcendental Freedom and its Discontents. Con-Textos Kantianos (International Journal of Philosophy) 1(8): 319-322.
- Saunders, Joe (2016). Kant and the Problem of Recognition: Freedom, Transcendental Idealism, and the Third-Person. International Journal of Philosophical Studies 24(2): 164-182.
- Saunders, Joe (2016). The Value of Practical Knowledge: Against Engstrom’s Constructivism. Hegel Bulletin 37(01): 117-136.
- Saunders, Joe (2014). Kant, Rational Psychology and Practical Reason. Kant Yearbook 6(1): 115-136.
- Bennett, Christopher, Saunders, Joe & Stern, Robert (trans.) (2019). Kant: Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Morals . Oxford University Press
Available for media contact about:
- Ethics, Religion & Beliefs: Philosophy
- Ethics: Philosophy
- Philosophy: Philosophy
- 2018: Defining Freedom of the Press: A Cross national examination of press ethics and regulation in ten European countries (£11225.00 from AHRC)