Dr Jeremy Dunham
I am interested in issues in metaphysics, epistemology, and the philosophy of mind in early modern and nineteenth-century philosophy.
I spend a lot of my time working on forgotten figures in the history of philosophy (James Ward, Charles Renouvier, and Clarisse Coignet, to name a few), but I have recently been focusing my research on the more well known philosophers William James and Hegel. I am writing a book on William James and the relationship between his metaphysics and his pragmatism, and I hope to finish that relatively soon. I am also writing a book on habit in the history of philosophy (from Descartes to Dewey), which will no doubt take a lot longer.
Before coming to work at Durham, I held a Levehulme Early Career Fellowship at the University of Sheffield, a Visiting Fellowship at the University of Chicago's Commitee on Social Thought, and an Institute for Advanced Studies in the Humanities Research Fellowship at the University of Edinburgh.
I am also the treasurer for the British Society for the History of Philosophy: http://www.bshp.org.uk/
You can read more about my work at my website: www.jeremydunham.org
My Office Hours are 2-4 on Tuesdays and 2-3 on Wednesdays every week during term time.
- Early Modern Philosophy
- Nineteenth-Century French Philosophy
- Dunham, J., Grant, I. & Watson, S. (2014). Idealism: The History of a Philosophy. Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge.
Chapter in book
- Dunham, J. (2017). Leibniz et la philosophie français du XIXe siècle’. In Leibniz: Lectures et commentaires. Laerke, Mogens, Leduc, Christian & Rabouin, David Paris: Librairie philosophique J. Vrin.
- Dunham, J. & Phemister, P. (2018). Monadologies. Routledge.
- Dunham, J. (2019). Habits of Mind: A Brand New Condillac. Journal of Modern Philosophy 1(1): 1.
- Dunham, J. & Lawford-Smith, H. (2017). Offsetting Race Privilege. Journal of Ethics and Social Philosophy 11(2): 1-23.
- Dunham, J. (2015). From Habit to Monads: Félix Ravaisson’s Theory of Substance. British Journal for the History of Philosophy 23(6): 1085-1105.
- Dunham, J. (2015). Idealism, Pragmatism, and the Will to Believe: Charles Renouvier and William James. British Journal for the History of Philosophy 23(4): 756-778.
- Dunham, J. & Phemister, P. (2015). Monadologies: An Historical Overview. British Journal for the History of Philosophy 23(6): 1023-1032.
- Dunham, J. (2014). Was James Ward a Cambridge Pragmatist?. British Journal for the History of Philosophy 22(3): 557-581.
Translated Chapter in Book
- Dunham, J. (trans.) (2016). Maine de Biran, Pierre, 'A Universal and Absolute Spiritualism: Maine de Biran’s Leibniz (Rapports du physique et du moral de l'homme.)'. In The Relationship between the Physical and Moral in Man: The Philosophy of Maine de Biran. Meacham, Darian & Spadola, Joseph (ed.). London New York: Bloomsbury. 157-197