Dr Christopher Cowie
In term time, Tuesdays 2-5pm, or by appointment. Rm 004 Old Elvet 50-51.
I am interested in the nature of moral norms and judgments. What kinds of things are they, and why, if at all, should we care about them? I am especially interested the similarities between moral norms and judgments, and epistemic norms and judgments.
I also work on a range of issues at the intersection of population ethics, welfare and the natural environment. Much of this work has been undertaken in collaboration with colleagues in economics and the social and environmental sciences.
Prior to arriving in Durham, I took my PhD, and held a Research Fellowship, at the University of Cambridge.
- Moral Philosophy
- Political Philosophy
- Moral Theory
- Political Philosophy
- (Forthcoming). The Repugnant Conclusion (Under contract with Routledge).
Chapter in book
- Cowie, Christopher & Greenberg, Alexander (Forthcoming). Epistemic Realism and Antirealism: Approaches to Metaepistemology. In Epistemic Realism and Antirealism: Approaches to Metaepistemology. McKenna, Robin & Kyriacou, Christos Palgrave Macmillan.
- (Forthcoming). Companions in Guilt Arguments in Metaethics. Philosophy Compass
- Schleicher, Judith, Schaafsma, Marije, Burgess, Neil D., Sandbrook, Chris, Danks, Fiona, Cowie, Chris & Vira, Bhaskar (2018). Poorer without It? The Neglected Role of the Natural Environment in Poverty and Wellbeing. Sustainable Development 26(1): 83-98.
- Cowie, Christopher (2017). Does the repugnant conclusion have any probative force?. Philosophical Studies 174(12): 3021-3039.
- Cowie, Christopher (2016). Good News for Moral Error Theorists: A Master Argument Against Companions in Guilt Strategies. Australasian Journal of Philosophy 94(1): 115-130.
- Greenberg, Alexander & Cowie, Christopher (2016). Is the Norm on Belief Evaluative? A Response to McHugh. Pacific Philosophical Quarterly
- Cowie, Christopher (2016). Revisionist Responses to the Amoralism Objection: A Reply to Julia Markovits. Ethical Theory and Moral Practice 19(3): 711.
- Cowie, Christopher (2015). Conservatism in Metaethics: A Case Study. Metaphilosophy 46(4-5): 605-619.
- Cowie, Christopher (2014). A New Explanatory Challenge for Nonnaturalists. Res Philosophica 91(4): 661-679.
- Cowie, Christopher (2014). Epistemic Disagreement and Practical Disagreement. Erkenntnis 79(1): 191-209.
- Cowie, Christopher (2014). In defence of instrumentalism about epistemic normativity. Synthese 191(16): 4003-4017.
- Cowie, C. (2014). Why Companions in Guilt Arguments Won't Work. The Philosophical Quarterly 64(256): 407-422.