Publication details for Dr Jane HeathHeath, Jane (2010). ‘Some were saying, “He is good”’ (John 7.12b): ‘Good’ Christology in John's Gospel? New Testament Studies 56(04): 513-535.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0028-6885, 1469-8145
- DOI: 10.1017/S0028688510000111
- Keywords: John's gospel, Monotheism, Goodness, Rich man, Shema, Christology, Commandments.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Far from being the banality suggested by commentators, John's use of the vocabulary of ‘goodness’ for Jesus (ἀγαθός and καλός) is christologically significant. It points to Jesus' unity with God. The Johannine treatment of Jesus' ‘goodness’ and interpretation of the Shema contrasts with and complements the Synoptic treatment of these themes in the rich man pericope (Mark 10.17–22 parr.).