Publication details for Professor Peter WardWard, Pete (2018). Ecclesiology and Ethnography with Humility: Going Through Barth. Studia Theologica - Nordic Journal of Theology 72(1): 51-67.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0039-338X, 1502-7791
- DOI: 10.1080/0039338X.2016.1204363
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Drawing on the notion that future Ecclesiologies would be wise to go through Karl Barth rather than to attempt to go around him. This article proposes a cautious humility for ethnographic approaches to ecclesiology. The article builds on the move towards ethnographic forms of ecclesiology in a Scandinavian context. From this starting point it argues that Barth’s ecclesiology suggests a series of theological checks and balances in ecclesiology and ethnography. These are explored through the notion of humility in method and approach.