Durham University Library welcomes visitors and we look forward to meeting you when you visit. Please be aware that access controls are in place at University libraries and access to visitors may be restricted during the summer Exam term in April and May and at other times in order to maintain security during 24/7 opening. New visitors are asked to attend between 09:00 and 20:00.
Registering as a Visitor
Day visitors should be over 18 and will be asked to present identification. Identification should be photographic with proof of your address. A driving licence or passport and utility bill with home address are acceptable. Academic visitors from other Universities will be expected to show a valid University ID card. Library Staff will complete a short sign-in form, make a note of your ID details and ask your for some contact information. Sign-in forms will not be kept if more than three months pass between visits and personal information will be disposed of securely. For more information, please see the Library's privacy notice. Once a form has been completed, Library staff will activate a day pass that will allow you to enter and exit the Library for the rest of the day. Day passes should be returned to the drop box at Reception.
Regular Library users may apply for a Campus Card:
- You must complete a CIS (Computing and Information Services) visitor campus card application form.
- Original proof of identity and current home address is required, and will be checked when you hand in your form to Library staff. If you post your application form, your proof of identity must be presented when you collect your Campus Card.
- It may take several days for your Campus Card to be produced and notification sent that you may collect it.
- Campus Cards may only be used by the person they are issued to.
- To access the Bill Bryson Library you must use your Campus Card to swipe in using the turnstiles.
- If you wish to borrow books you will need to use your Campus Card.
Staff and students from around 190 university and higher education institutions in the UK and Ireland may use our libraries as SCONUL Access visitors. Academic visitors from other Universities will be expected to show a valid University ID card displaying their photograph. Check the list of SCONUL Access member libraries to ensure your institution participates.
Bill Bryson Library (University Library)
Telephone: 0191 334 2967
Leazes Road Library (School of Education)
Telephone: 0191 334 8137
Palace Green Library
Telephone: 0191 334 2972