The Botanic Garden is now accomodating Forest Schools sessions. These are outdoor-based activity sessions for school groups, designed to bring learning out of the classroom. The Forest Schools approach can be tailored to different age groups and is essentially child-led, giving pupils the opportunity to learn key skills and concepts in a practical and meaningful way.
Children need and want to take risks and Forest Schools aims to respond to these needs by offering children stimulating and challenging environments for exploring and developing their abilities. It promotes hands-on, real-life learning – children learn through experimentation and problem solving. Activities can range from outdoor skills, to studying the science curriculum in the context of a garden.
Forest School sessions are run at the Botanic Garden by Scouted. The sessions can be arranged by contacting Sam Jackson, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or telephone: 07950 309118. Sam is a Level 3 Forest Schools practitioner with extensive experience working with children. He is also a Science & Outdoor Education Specialist.
Forest Schools provides excellent opportunities that:
• Increase self-esteem and self-confidence
• Improve listening and speaking skills
• Contribute to the development of language
• Improve children’s ability to work cooperatively
• Improve physical and motor skills
• Forest Schools is also a very effective stimulus for learning back in the classroom.
Activities available include:
• Creative activities such as outdoor art and patterns in nature
• Curriculum specific topics – life processes and living things
• Developing survival skills - shelter building and cooking on a fire
• Using our senses to explore the environment
• Maps & trails
As well as the standard 4schools session price of £4.00 per child (accompanying adults free), Forest School sessions are an additional cost of £150 per day payable directly to Sam Jackson.