Dr Anthony Bash, LLB LLM BD PhD CTM
(1 Sept 2018 - 31 Aug 2021) in the Department of Theology and Religion
I studied law at Bristol University and went on to practise law as a solicitor. I later studied theology at Glasgow University. My doctorate in theology is from Cambridge University and was under the supervision of Professor Morna Hooker.
My basic specialism is New Testament biblical studies, and Paul in particular. I am interested in reading the New Testament in an interdisciplinary way, both learning from and seeking to contribute to other disciplines. My doctorate (published in 1997) explored what the writers of the New Testament mean by 'ambassadors' and 'reconciliation', and to help do this I looked at Graeco-Roman literary and epigraphic records. At various times, I have written about canon law and on spirituality in the twenty-first century in the context of secular institutions, such as the NHS . I have also attempted to read and interpret the New Testament drawing on models from psychological theory.
In recent years, I have been engaged in research on what is meant by forgiveness and reconciliation. This has involved a rigorous exploration of New Testament texts in the light of political science, philosophy, and psychological theory. I have recently completed a theology of forgiveness. I am currently writing a book on remorse.
I teach a masters module entitled 'Forgiveness in Pastoral Ministry Today', and undergraduate courses on the New Testament. I also chair the Forum on Forgiveness and Reconciliation, jointly hosted by the Department of Theology and Religion, by the Department of Philosophy, and by Hatfield College, Durham University. I am a member of a working group aiming to introduce a Charter for Forgiveness. I have taught a module for the Durham Global Security Institute (DGSi) entitled 'Religion, Culture, and Conflict'. I formerly taught Business Law for Durham Business School.
- Bash, Anthony (2015). Forgiveness: A Theology. Eugene, Oregon: Cascade Books.
- Bash, Anthony & Bash, Melanie (2012). Inside the Christmas Story. Reflections for Advent. London: Bloomsbury.
- Bash, Anthony (2011). Just Forgiveness: Exploring the Bible, Weighing the Issues. London: SPCK.
- Bash, Anthony (2007). Forgiveness and Christian Ethics. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Bash, Anthony (1997). Ambassadors for Christ: An Exploration of Ambassadorial Communication in the New Testament. Tubingen, Germany: Mohr-Siebeck.
- Bash, Anthony (2012). Thomas Hatfield: Bishop, Soldier, and Politician. Durham Publications in Medieval and Renaissance Studies. Toronto, Canada: Pontifical Institute of Mediaeval Studies and Institute of Medieval and Renaissance Studies, Durham University.
Chapter in book
- Bash, Anthony (2019). Forgiveness and Christianity. In Forgiveness in Practice. Hance, Stephen. Jessica Kingsley Publishers. 24-36.
- Bash, Anthony (2004). A Psychodynamic Approach to II Corinthians. In Psychology and the Bible. Ellens, J. H. & Rollins, W. G. Westport, Connecticut and London: Praeger. 3: 149-63.
- Bash, Anthony & Bash, Melanie (2004). Early Christian Thinking. In Forgiveness in Context: Theology and Psychology in Creative Dialogue. Watts, F. N. & Gulliford, L. Edinburgh: London: T & T Clark.
- Bash, Anthony (2016). Difficult Texts: Luke 23.34 and Acts 7.60: Forgiving the Unrepentant?. Theology 119(4): 276-278.
- Bash, Anthony (2014). Forgiveness, Reconciliation and Spirituality: A Theological Perspective. Journal for the Study of Spirituality 4(1): 58-72.
- Bash, Anthony (2013). Did Jesus Discover Forgiveness? Journal of Religious Ethics 41(3): 382-399.
- Bash, Anthony (2011). Forgiveness: A Re-appraisal. Studies in Christian Ethics 24(2): 133-146.
- Bash, Anthony (2005). Humpty Dumpty in the Emperor's New Clothes? Journal of Clinical Nursing 14: 60-6.
- Bash, Anthony (2005). The New Testament: Mosaic Law and Ecclesiastical Law. Ecclesiastical Law Journal 8: 60-6.
- Bash, Anthony (2004). Spirituality: The Emperor's New Clothes? Journal of Clinical Nursing 13: 11-16.
- Bash, Anthony (2004). Temptation, Today's Lawyers and the Ten Commandments. Ecclesiastical Law Journal 7: 328-33.
- Bash, Anthony (2001). A Psychodynamic Approach to the Interpretation of 2 Corinthians 10-13. Journal for the Study of the New Testament (83): 51-67.
- Bash, Anthony (1999). Deacons and Diaconal Ministry. Theology (102): 36-41.
- Bash, Anthony (1998). Ecclesiastical Law and the Law of God in Scripture. Ecclesiastical Law Journal 5: 7-13.