Dr Frances Clemson
My post is part of the Common Awards partnership between Durham University and the Church of England. Through this partnership the University validates Common Awards qualifications in Theology, Ministry and Mission offered by the Church in colleges and courses across the country. A key part of my work is the development of collaborative research into the nature of theological education.
My other main research interests are Anglican thought and theology and the arts, especially drama. Current work in progress includes a monograph on the theology and dramatic works of Dorothy L. Sayers (1893-1957) and a study of the representation of resurrection in the theatre and in theology.
Prior to arriving in Durham in September 2014, I was a Research Associate and Affiliated Lecturer in the Faculty of Divinity at the University of Cambridge, where I taught modern Christian theology. At Cambridge I also worked within the Cambridge Inter-faith Programme (CIP) helping to co-ordinate projects with Jewish, Christian and Muslim community leaders and scholars.
- Modern Christian Theology
- Theology and the Arts
- Worship and Liturgy
- Theological Education
- Theology and the Body
- Sexuality and Marriage
- Anglican Theology
- Clemson, Frances (2018). Showing Forth God's Act in History: Theology and Drama in the Work of Dorothy L. Sayers. Bloomsbury T&T Clark.
- Ford, David F. & Clemson, Frances (2013). Interreligious Reading After Vatican II: Scriptural Reasoning, Comparative Theology and Receptive Ecumenism. Directions in Modern Theology. Wiley-Blackwell.
Chapter in book
- Clemson, Frances (2020). Doing Justice to the Past: Time in Theology, Drama and Peacebuilding. In Peacebuilding and the Arts. Culbertson, Hal, Hawksley, Theodora, Mitchell, Jolyon & Vincentt, Giselle Palgrave Macmillan.
- Clemson, Frances (2020). Plays. In The Oxford Handbook of Christmas. Larsen, Timothy Oxford University Press.
- Clemson, Frances (2016). Taking Time Over Marriage: Tradition, History and Time in Recent Debates. In Thinking Again About Marriage: Key Theological Questions. Bradbury, John & Cornwall, Susannah SCM.
Available for media contact about:
- Theology: Contemporary use of arts in the Christian Church
- Theology: Christian Drama