Durham Archaeology Explorers
Durham Archaeology Explorers (DAX) is an archaeology club for children aged 7 - 11 years.
- Free entry to the Oriental Museum (on taking up annual membership)
- 10% off all shop purchases at Oriental Museum
- A membership card to be presented at the museum, to obtain these benefits
What do we do?
Durham Archaeology Explorers aims to engage with children aged 7-11 years to inspire a lifelong interest in, and respect for, archaeology and the people of the past. DAX aims to explore both local and world archaeology.
- Provide a fun, safe, exciting environment in which children can enjoy learning new skills and acquire knowledge.
- Explore Durham University Museums' fantastic archaeology collections and discover local heritage sites.
- Encourage children and their families to independently find out about archaeology and visit archaeological sites.
How does it work?
DAX meets on the first Saturday of each month and each session focuses on the archaeology of a different historical period in chronological order, so children get a sense of how society changes and develops. Most sessions are held in the Education Room at the Oriental Museum (Elvet Hill, Durham, DH1 3TH), but there may be opportunities to host some sessions at other venues.
Costs and ways to pay
The 2 hour sessions are £2 per child. The all day sessions are £6. There are two ways to pay;
1. Pay as you go (but bookable in advance). Simply pay for each session on the day. Cash only please.
2. Pay for a year’s membership (all 15 sessions) for £40 per child. Children that join for a year can access membership benefits.
These fees cover the cost of materials and equipment.
You can join at any time and new members are welcome at any time.
For more information on dates and times, or to make a booking, please contact Charlotte Spink on 0191 334 5691, or email firstname.lastname@example.org