Become a friend
The Friends of the Oriental Museum were formed with the intention of supporting the Oriental Museum. The Friends are a charity, independent of the museum itself, whose aims are to promote and support the museum.
Benefits of membership
- Free admission to the Oriental Museum
- Advance notice of events and exhibitions
- Invitations to previews of new exhibitions
- A programme of lectures, events, and activities throughout the year
- Discount on purchases from the museum shop
- Access to the Museum library
- Annual newsletter, the 'Orient Express’
- Free entry to the Museum of East Asian Art in Bath on production of Oriental Museum Friend membership card
For further information on the Friends, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thurs 16 January 2020, 7.30pm, David Rosier, Necropolis of China's First Emperor – Terracotta Heaven.
February 2020, date to be confirmed, Dr Philip Garrett, School of History, Classics and Archaeology, Newcastle University, 'Topic on Japan'.
Wed 4 March 2020, 7.30pm, Dr Penny Wilson, Department of Archaeology, Durham University, Medieval Itineraries and Ports in the North of Egypt.
Mon 4 May 2020, Dr Elena Narinskaya, Faculty of Theology and Religion, University of Oxford, Eastern Orthodox Christianity.
All lectures commence at 7.30pm and are held in Lecture Room 009, Elvet Hill House, Durham (next door to the Oriental Museum), unless otherwise stated.
Lectures are free for Friends, £3 for visitors (£1 for concessions). Booking for lectures is not required.