Become a friend
The Friends of the Oriental Museum were formed with the intention of supporting the Oriental Museum. The Friends are a charity, independent of the museum itself, whose aims are to promote and support the museum.
Benefits of membership
- Free admission to the museum
- Advance notice of events and exhibitions
- Invitations to previews of new exhibitions
- A programme of lectures, events, and activities throughout the year
- Discount on purchases from the museum shop
- Access to the Museum library
- Annual newsletter, the 'Orient Express’.
For further information on the Friends, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Wed 16th January 2019, Lawrence of Arabia, Moral Treachery & World War One, by Very Reverend Andrew Tremlett, Dean of Durham. (further details at the foot of this page).
Wed 13th February 2019, Indian music and imagination, by Professor Martin Clayton, Department of Music, Durham University.
Wed 13th March 2019, Impending Crises: The World Ruled by Three 19th-Century Empresses, by Professor Keith Pratt.
Wed 1st May 2019, 6.30pm for 7pm, Annual dinner, Ushaw College.
Thurs 2nd May 2019 lecture by Dr Lawson, Newcastle University (title tbc).
All lectures commence at 7.30pm and are held in Lecture Room 009, Elvet Hill House, Durham (next door to the Oriental Museum), unless otherwise stated.
Lectures are free for Friends, £3 for visitors (£1 for concessions). Booking for lectures is not required.