Dr Richard Pears, BA (Hons); PG Diploma, PhD, FHEA, FSA
Richard is the Faculty Librarian for Arts and Humanities. He advises departments in the Faculty on the acquisition and management of print and electronic information and teaches research skills to postgraduates and undergraduates.
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London
President of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle upon Tyne 2016-19
Member of the Great North Museum library committee
- Pears, Richard & Shields, Graham (2019). Cite Them Right: The Essential Referencing Guide. Red Globe Press.
- Pears, Richard & Purdue, A.W. (2017). The Custom House, Newcastle upon Tyne. Robson Print Ltd.
- Pears, Richard. & Shields, Graham. (2016). Cite them right: the essential referencing guide. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Pears, Richard & Saunders, Bill (2016). Looking Back at Whickham. Summerhill Books.
Chapter in book
- Pears, Richard (2016). 'Auckland and Durham Castles in the Eighteenth Century'. In Princes of the Church and Their Palaces. Rollason, David Society for Medieval Archaeology. 615-641.
- Pears, Richard (2015), 'Auckland and Durham Castles in the Eighteenth Century', Princes of the Church and Their Palaces. Auckland Castle, Durham, Auckland Castle, Durham.
- Pears, Richard (2014), 'Rebooting Referencing: Tools, Tech and Twinkle.', CILIP ARLG Symposium. Cambridge University, Cambridge University.
- Pears, Richard (2014), ‘The Architecture of Eighteenth-Century Newcastle’, North East Forum in Eighteenth-Century and Romantic Studies. Literary and Philosophical Society of Newcastle upon Tyne, Literary and Philosophical Society of Newcastle upon Tyne.
- Pears, Richard (2010), It's not about the commas: why referencing really matters, UCRG Northern Group Workshop. Durham, England, Durham.
- Pears, Richard (2006), 'Cite them right': Developing students' citation skills, BOBCATSSS Symposium: Information, Innovation, Responsibility: Information professional in the Network Society. Tallinn University, Estonia, Tallinn University.
- Balfour, Maimie & Pears, Richard (2006), Student evaluation of two information literacy packages: Skills Plus and MOSAIC, LILAC. University of Leeds, University of Leeds.
- Pears, Richard (2020). 'A Council at War: Whickham Urban District Council 1939-45'. Northern History
- Pears, Richard (2019). 'Bishop Tunstall’s Alterations to Durham Castle, 1536-1548'. Antiquaries Journal 99.
- Pears, Richard (2019). 'Hebburn Hall, South Tyneside'. Durham Archaeological Journal 21.
- Casselden, B & Pears, Richard (2019). 'Higher Education student pathways to ebook usage and engagement, and understanding: Highways and cul de sacs'. Journal of Librarianship and Information Science
- Pears, Richard (2018). 'A Villa at the Coast: Newton Hall, Newton-by-the-Sea, Northumberland'. Georgian Group Journal XXVI: 103-120.
- Pears, Richard & Purdue, A.W. (2018). 'The Custom House, Quayside, Newcastle upon Tyne'. Archaeologia Aeliana 47.
- Pears, Richard (2017). 'An Observation Tower on Newcastle Quayside'. Archaeologia Aeliana 5th Series (45): 145-158.
- Pears, Richard (2016). 'Building Howick Hall, Northumberland'. Georgian Group Journal XXIV: 117-134.
- Pears, R & Atherton, B (2015). 'Anderson Place, Newcastle upon Tyne'. Archaeologia Aeliana 5th series(44): 175-224.
- Pears, Richard (2014). Building developments at Durham University Library. SCONUL Focus 58: 66.
- Pears, Richard & Hewlings, Richard (2014). Capheaton Hall in the Eighteenth Century. Georgian Group Journal XXII: 125-144.
- Pears, Richard (2014). St Anthony’s House: a lost mansion near Newcastle upon Tyne. Archaelogia Aeliana 43: 241-246.
- Pears, Richard (2012). Battle of the Styles? Classical and Gothic Architecture in Seventeenth-Century North-East England. Architectural History 55: 79-109.
- Heading, D, Pears, R, Purcell, C & Simonson, N (2010). 'Finding and Managing Information: Generic information literacy and management skills for postgraduate researchers'. International Journal for Researcher Development 1(3): 206.
- Pears, Richard (2010). The Architectural Development of Blagdon Hall, Northumberland. Architectural History 53: 77-98.
- Pears, Richard (2008). Image, identity and allusion: the Ridley monuments in St. Nicholas Cathedral, Newcastle upon Tyne. Postgraduate Forum 6.
- Pears, Richard (2008). Two castles by William Newton. Georgian Group Journal XVI: 132-140.
- Pears, Richard (2018), Architectural Standards at Alnwick Castle: an incident in the creation of a profession, Northern Architectural History Society. Newcastle University.