Durham University Library
You will find some changes to the services that you may be used to from our libraries and collections, due to the effects of Covid-19. You can visit our Easter Term 2021 guide to view all the services available this term.
Questions? Ask DULib!
Current Library News
Elsevier subscription negotiations
Negotiations for a new agreement between UK Universities and the publisher Elsevier commenced in March 2021, led by the sector and facilitated by Jisc.
In these negotiations, universities on behalf of their researchers and students have two main objectives:
- to reduce costs to sustainable levels
- to provide full and immediate open access to UK research.
The Elsevier contract is due for renewal in December 2021. Visit our dedicated guide for more information.
(18 Jun 2021)
Summer vacation opening times
As of Saturday 26 June, we enter the University vacation period and will be adjusting our opening times. For the duration of the summer period, we’ve removed limits on the number of individual study spaces you can book.
Opening times and availability are as follows:
Monday-Friday between 8am-10pm
Saturday-Sunday between 9am-10pm
- Browse and Borrow - one slot per day and up to five slots per week
- Study spaces – timeslots available throughout the day, seven days a week
Monday-Friday between 8am-5.45pm
Individual study spaces – timeslots available throughout the day, including all-day timeslots, five days a week
Closed as of 6pm on Friday 24 June for the duration of the vacation period.
Please be aware of the following:
- You will still need to pre-book all timeslots through the Space Booking system
- You will be allocated a different seat for each booking, regardless of whether you book two or more consecutive timeslots in the same building.
- You will still be required to leave the building at the end of each timeslot to allow for comprehensive cleaning to take place.
All current health and safety measures remain in place – visit our Services Guide for full details. We will continue to update you with any changes in line with guidance from the University.
Please also be aware that there will be maintenance work completed in the Bill Bryson Library over the summer months. This means that at times some areas will not be accessible by students and there will be some disruption in the building. We will keep you updated with details on our website and social media.
If you have any queries, please contact our Virtual Enquiry Desk.
(17 Jun 2021)
Here to help
Overnight chat support
Overnight chat support operates between 8:00pm and 8:00am. Further information on Questionpoint, our overnight chat support service.