Durham University is aiming to become one of the most environmentally sustainable universities in the UK. Achieving this goal requires the active commitment of every member of the University community. We also need the help of you, our visitors.
We can all reduce our impact on the environment by making choices. As a visitor or museum user you have an important role to play in helping us to conserve Durham's natural environment and enabling us to become a more sustainable destination. Below are a number of steps that you can take to help us make a difference.
- Reduce consumption by switching off lights and closing windows if the heating is on.
- Turn off electrical equipment when not in use; avoid leaving computers on standby or adaptors plugged in but not connected.
- The Energy Savings Trust provides information on what you can do at home.
Give the car a rest
- Leave the car behind, if only for a day. Walk, cycle or use public transport. Our staff will happily provide you with advice on routes to and from the museums.
- Use local products, they give you a flavour of the area and help support local communities.
- We are fortunate to have some fantastic local producers of food and drink, arts and crafts in the Durham area, ask staff for directions to Durham Market.
Reduce, reuse and recycle
- Try to avoid overly packaged goods.
- Durham University Museum shops do not use plastic bags. Please help us to reduce the amount of paper we use by using your own bag. If you do need a bag for your purchases, try to recycle or reuse it afterwards.
- At home and at work, print and photocopy double sided, and don’t print unless you have to.
Be water wise
- Turn off the tap.
Respect and enjoy nature
- Avoid littering – use the bin!
- Use footpaths and cycle ways responsibly.
- Ensure you follow the Countryside Code.
Support Green Businesses
There are thousands of businesses like us across the British Isles who are working to reduce their carbon footprint through the Green Tourism Business Scheme. Join us and work with businesses that are committed to looking after our landscape and taking responsibility for reducing their impact on the environment. For more information see the Green Tourism website.
If you want to know more...
You can read our Environmental and Social Responsibility Policy. Download it using the link on the right. For more information on environmental initiatives across Durham University have a look at Greenspace the home of Durham University's Environmental Office.
Environmental and social responsibility policy
Download our statement here.