Library remodelling 2018
(1 June 2018)
During the summer and through the beginning of next academic year, the Library is undergoing extensive remodelling work across various sites to improve our study space and catering provision. In the Bill Bryson Library, this includes renovation of the Library café and eDen and the reorganisation of spaces to add new desks and study rooms. Leazes Road Library will be temporarily closed due to the refurbishment programme for the School of Education.
Main changes affecting the Bill Bryson Library:
- Temporary closure of the Library café and eDen to allow significant renovation and refurbishment work. The eDen will close on Monday 11 June, the Library café on Thursday 14 June. Both areas will remain closed until November 2018.
- Cold drinks and snack vending machines will be installed on Level 2 until the new café space opens. In this period, we encourage users to use alternative catering facilities in the Lower Mountjoy area. Opening hours and further information about the catering provision will follow on the Library remodelling webpage below.
- Reorganisation of internal spaces to create 100 additional study desks and 4 new accessible study rooms with improved disability support on Level 1. Moreover, some low-used collections will be moved to an off-site store and the IT service desk will be relocated into the existing Library café space.
Main changes affecting Leazes Road Library:
- Leazes Road Library will be temporarily closed from Saturday 16 June to Monday 27 August inclusive.
- Returning books: during this period, books borrowed from Leazes Road Library may be returned to Bill Bryson Library. Please be aware that no book drop will be available when the library is closed at either site.
- Requesting books: if you are likely to need books from Leazes Road Library, please borrow them before 15 June.
We are working hard to ensure that disruption will be kept to a minimum, and we thank you in advance for your patience. Before you visit please make sure you check our opening times and potential temporary disruptions in order to prevent any inconvenience.
For further information and updates, follow us on social media and check our webpage at: durham.ac.uk/library/remodelling2018