Advice for academic staff on ordering items for the Library
Each department has a library representative and suggestions for book purchases should normally be passed to that member of staff initially. (Note: for reading list items please consult our reading list information) They will then be forwarded to the Library via the Liaison Librarian for your department and passed to the Acquisitions Department for purchase.
- Before submitting a request to your library representative, please take the time to check the Library Catalogue to ensure the item is not already in stock or on order.
Purchase requests may be submitted to your library representative in several ways:
- Via an online form available for your Department - please consult the Library to use this approach
- By email - please leave spacing between each recommendation
- Using the Library's printed recommendation slips
- By a typed list - please leave generous spacing between each item
- By submission of a publisher's catalogue - please annotate clearly with your requirements
All orders are dealt with as quickly as possible, and we will try to accommodate any particular requests. Please indicate on your request if:
- Your needs are exceptionally urgent, or contact the Acquisitions staff by telephone (0191 3342948) or email.
- You want the item to be put into the Short Loan Collection for a taught module (please supply a module code) or to be available as a 3-day loan
- You are requesting an additional copy.
Staff are not advised to make personal purchases in these circumstances and then ask for reimbursement from the Library.
For more information please contact the Acquisitions deparment via telephone (0191 3342948) or email
For further details on purchasing material for Library stock please consult our guidelines on acquisition of material.