Prof Robin Frame
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Robin Frame has published widely on the history of Ireland, and of the British Isles generally, in the later medieval period. His present work concentrates on government and society in English Ireland in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries.
- 2012 Colonial Ireland, 1169-1369, 2nd edition, Dublin: Four Courts.
- 1998 Ireland and Britain 1170-1450, London: Hambledon.
- 1990 The Political Development of the British Isles, 1100-1400, Oxford: OUP.
- 1982 English Lordship in Ireland, 1318-1361, Oxford: OUP.
Chapter in book
- 2013 '‘A register of lost deeds concerning the earldom of Ulster, c.1230–1376’', in Duffy, Seán (ed.), Princes, Prelates and Poets: Essays in Honour of Katharine Simms, Dublin: Four Courts, pp. 85–106
- 2013 '‘Ireland after 1169: barriers to acculturation on an “English” edge’', in Stringer, K.J. & Jotischky, Andrew (eds.), Norman Expansion: Contrasts, Connections and Continuities, Farnham: Ashgate, pp. 115-41
- 2011 '‘Lordship beyond the Pale: Munster in the later Middle Ages’', in Stalley,Roger (ed.), Medieval Art and Architecture in Limerick and South-West Ireland: British Archaeological Association Transactions, Leeds: Maley, pp. 5–18
- 2008 '‘Historians, aristocrats and Plantagenet Ireland, 1200–1360’', in Given-Wilson,Chris, Kettle, Ann & Scales, Len (eds.), War, Government and Aristocracy in the British Isles: Essays in Honour of Michael Prestwich, Woodbridge: Boydell and Brewer, pp. 131–47
- 2007 'Lordship and liberties in Ireland and Wales, c1170-c1360', in H. Pryce & J. Watts (eds.), Power and Identity in the Later Middle Ages: Essays in Memory of Rees Davies, Oxford University Press, pp. 125-138
- 2006 'The Wider World', in Horrox, Rosemary. & Ormrod, W. Mark. (eds.), A Social History of England 1200-1500, Cambridge University Press, pp. 435-453
- 2005 'Exporting state and nation: being English in medieval Ireland', in L. Scales & O. Zimmer (eds.), Power and the Nation in European History, Cambridge University Press, pp. 143-165
- 2003 'Kingdoms and dominions at peace and war', in Ralph Griffiths (ed.), The Fourteenth and Fifteenth Centuries, Oxford University Press, pp. 149-180
- 2001 'Conquest and settlement', in Barbara Harvey (ed.), The Twelfth and Thirteenth Centuries: 1066-c.1280, Oxford University Press, pp. 31-66
- 2000 ''Ireland'', in Jones, Michael (ed.), New Cambridge Medieval History, vi. The Fourteenth Century, Cambridge: CUP, pp. 375–87, 967–70
- 1998 '‘Thomas Rokeby, sheriff of Yorkshire, the custodian of David II’', in Rollason, David & Prestwich, Michael (eds.), The Battle of Neville’s Cross, 1346–1996, Stamford: Shaun Tyas, pp. 50–56
- 1996 '‘The defence of the English lordship, 1250–1450'', in Bartlett, Thomas & Jeffery, Keith (eds.), A Military History of Ireland, Cambridge: CUP, pp. 76–98, 468–70
- 1995 ''Two Kings in Leinster: The Crown and the Mic Mhurchadha in the Fourteenth Century'', in Barry, T. B., Frame, Robin. & Simms, Katharine. (eds.), Colony and Frontier in Medieval Ireland: Essays presented to J.F. Lydon, London: Hambledon, pp. 155–75
- 2013 '‘Rediscovering medieval Ireland: Irish chancery rolls and the historian’', Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy 113, pp. 193–217
- 2002 '‘English political culture in later medieval Ireland’', The History Review 13, pp. 1–11
- 1996 ''Thomas Rokeby, Sheriff of Yorkshire, Justiciar of Ireland'', Peritia 10 pp. 274-296
- 1992 '‘Commissions of the Peace in Ireland, 1302–1461’', Analecta Hibernica 35, pp. 1–43