Professor Justin Willis
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Justin Willis' work has been largely concerned with identity, authority and social change in eastern Africa over the last two hundred years. Much of his recent work has focussed on Sudan and the Kenya coast. His current research is primarily concerned with the history of elections, and he is working with colleagues from Warwick and Oxford on a major ESRC-funded project, ‘The impact of elections: voting, political behaviour and democracy in sub-Saharan African’.
From 2006 to 2009 Professor Willis was seconded from Durham to serve as Director of the British Institute in Eastern Africa, in Nairobi.
Areas of Postgraduate Supervision
Professor Willis has supervised doctoral students working on various aspects of modern eastern African history, and British imperial history relating to Africa. Currently he has students working on the history of local government in Kenya; British policy towards Kenya from 1963 to 1980, southern Sudanese migrants in Khartoum in the late twentieth century; the history of development policy; and ethnicity in northern Uganda in the twentieth century. Prospective students who would like to discuss ideas for doctoral research are very welcome to contact him.
- Preaching Politics: Debating Governance Mosques and Churches in Coastal Kenya
- The impact of elections: voting, political behaviour and democracy in sub-Saharan Africa
- Modern East Africa
- Sudan in the 19th and 20th centuries
- The social history of alcohol in Africa
Indicators of Esteem
- : Chevalier of the Ordre des Palmes Academiques
- Curriculum vitae
- Full publication list
- Report for the Department for International Development, 2009: 'Elections in Sudan: learning from experience'
- 2002 Potent Brews. A Social History of Alcohol in East Africa 1850-1999, British Institute in Eastern Africa in association with James Currey, 304 pp.
- 1993 Mombasa, the Swahili and the Making of the Mijikenda, Clarendon Press, 231 pp.
Chapter in book
- 2014 'Alcohol licensing hours: time and temperance in Kenya', in Klantschnig, G., Carrier, N. & Amber, C. (eds.), Drugs in Africa: Histories and Ethnographies of Use, Trade and Control, Palgrave, pp. 89-104
- 2013 'Chieftaincy', in Parker, John & Reid, Richard (eds.), The Oxford Handbook of Modern African History, Oxford: OUP, pp. 208-23
- 2010 'Protecting young people. Alcohol, advertising and youth in Kenya', in Burton, Andrew. & Charton-Bigot, Helene. (eds.), Generations Past. Youth in East African History, Ohio University Press, pp. 279-90
- 2009 'The King of the Mijikenda, and other stories about the kaya. Heritage, politics and histories in multi-party Kenya', in Peterson, Derek. & Macola, Giacomo. (eds.), Recasting the past. History writing and political work in modern Africa, Ohio University Press, pp. 233-250
- 2011 (co-edited with Ryle, J., Baldo, S. & Jok, J. M.) The Sudan Handbook, James Currey.
- 2017 (co-authored with Lynch, Gabrielle & Cheeseman, Nic) '“A valid electoral exercise”? Uganda’s 1980 elections and the observers’ dilemma', Comparative Studies in Society and History 59, pp. 211-238
- 2017 (co-authored with Deacon, G., Gona, G. & Mwakimako, H.) 'Preaching politics: Islam and Christianity on the Kenya coast', Journal of Contemporary African Studies 35, pp. 148-167
- 2016 (co-authored with Cheeseman, N & Lynch, G) 'Decentralisation in Kenya: the governance of governors', The Journal of Modern African Studies 54, pp. 1-35
- 2016 (co-authored with Mwakimako, Hassan) 'Islam and democracy: debating electoral involvement on the Kenya coast', Islamic Africa 7, pp. 19-43
- 2016 (co-authored with Perrot, S & Pommerolle, M-E) 'La fabrique du vote: placer la materialite au coeur de l'nanalyse', Politique africaine 144, pp. 5-26
- 2016 (co-authored with Lynch, G. & Cheeseman, N.) 'La machine electorale: culture materielle des bureaux de vote au Ghana, au Kenya et en Ouganda. = The Voting Machine: The material culture of polling stations in Ghana, Kenya and Uganda', Politique africaine 144, pp. 27-50
- 2015 '“Peace and order are in the interests of every citizen” Elections, violence and state legitimacy in Kenya, 1957-74', International Journal of African Historical Studies 48, pp. 99-116
- 2014 (co-authored with Cheesman, Nic & Lynch, Gabrielle) 'Democracy and its discontents: understanding Kenya’s 2013 elections', Journal of Eastern African Studies 8, pp. 2-24
- 2014 (co-authored with Chome, Ngala) 'Marginalization and participation on the Kenya coast: the 2013 elections', Journal of Eastern African Studies 8, pp. 115-134
- 2013 (co-authored with Gona, G.) 'Pwani C Kenya? Memory, documents and secessionist politics in coastal Kenya', African Affairs 112, pp. 48-71
- 2013 (co-authored with Gona, George) 'Tradition, tribe and state in Kenya: the Mijikenda Union, 1945-1980', Comparative Studies in Society and History 55, pp. 448-473
- 2011 'Sudan's election: voting for authoritarians', Africa Review 3, pp. 47-64
- 2011 'Tribal gatherings: colonial spectacle, native administration and local government in Condominium Sudan', Past and Present 211, pp. 243-268
- 2010 (co-authored with al-Batthani, Atta) '"We changed the laws." Electoral practice and malpractice in Sudan since 1953', African Affairs 109, pp. 191-212
- 2009 (co-authored with Mutisya, Dorothy.) 'Budget drinking: alcohol consumption in two Kenyan towns', Journal of Eastern African Studies 3, pp. 55-73
- 2008 'What has he got up his sleeve? Advertising the Kenyan presidential candidates in 2007', Journal of Eastern African Studies 2, pp. 264-71
- 2014 (co-authored with Mwakimako, Hassan) 'Islam, politics and violence on the Kenya coast'.
- Africa, particularly East and North-eastern Africa, since 1800