Welcome to Durham University History Department, one of the leading centres in the UK for the study of History. We were ranked as the top UK History Department by the Complete University Guide in 2015 and by the Times and Sunday Times in 2013 and 2014, and second by the Guardian University Guide in 2015. Our research expertise and teaching provision extends from the early Middle Ages to contemporary history; from Britain and Europe (including Russia) to America, Africa and China; and across social, cultural, gender, visual, political and economic history. We know that flexibility and choice are key components of a positive university experience for students, and so we offer a varied range of undergraduate and postgraduate programmes that can be tailored to students' interests.
One of the seven departments which make up the Faculty of Arts & Humanities and located in the historic heart of Durham, the History Department is close to the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Cathedral and Castle. The University has excellent libraries, with archives and book collections of international significance and which provide access to a huge range of online resources, making us a perfect choice for both undergraduate and postgraduate study.
- New article! Natalie Mears on State papers and related collections, in Understanding Early Modern Primary Sources
- New Book! Adrian Green, Building for England: John Cosin’s Architecture in Renaissance Durham and Cambridge
- New Edited Volume from Professor Paul Bailey
- Dissertation Fairs Schedule (last modified: 3 June 2016)
Wednesday 21 September 2016
- Conference: Treasure in Heaven, Treasures on Earth, c.1050-c.1250 9:15am onwards, Hatfield College, Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Thursday 22 September 2016
- Conference: Treasure in Heaven, Treasures on Earth, c.1050-c.1250 all day, Hatfield College, Contact email@example.com
Friday 23 September 2016
- Conference: Treasure in Heaven, Treasures on Earth, c.1050-c.1250 until 9:15am, Hatfield College, Contact firstname.lastname@example.org