Department of History
Welcome to the Department of History, ranked 2nd in the Complete University Guide (2019). We are a successful, expanding department, engaged in teaching and research across an exceptional range of chronological, geographical and thematic areas.
Events and Seminars
Thursday 26 April 2018
- Restructuring Late Antiquity and the Early Middle Ages: Prof. Guy Halsall (York) 4:15pm to 5:30pm, History Department (43 North Bailey), Seminar Room 2, Prof. Guy Halsall (University of York)
- Modern European History Seminar 5:15pm to 6:15pm, Seminar Room 1, History Department, Alexia Yates (Manchester)
Wednesday 2 May 2018
- History Department Research Seminar Series 17/18 4:00pm, Dawson Building, Department of Archaeology, D110 (ground floor), Professor Chris Wickham (Oxford)
Wednesday 9 May 2018
- Durham Early Modern Group - IMEMS/History Department 4:30pm, Seminar Room 1, History Department, 43 North Bailey, Julia McClure (Glasgow University)
Thursday 10 May 2018
- Modern European History Seminar 12:00pm to 1:00pm, Room 111, History Department, Alex Paulin-Booth (Durham)
Our top stories
AHRC PhD studentship in collaboration with The National Archives, National Maritime Museum, and Durham University
The National Archives, the National Maritime Museum, and Durham University are pleased to invite applications for a three-year (or part-time equivalent) AHRC Collaborative Doctoral Partnership PhD Studentship. This is available for a student to begin research from October 2018 and tenable at Durham University in close collaboration with The National Archives and the National Maritime Museum (which is part of Royal Museums Greenwich). This doctoral award is funded through the Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) under its Collaborative Doctoral Partnership programme. The project will be supervised by Dr Richard Huzzey and Prof Andy Wood, at Durham, and by Dr Paul Carter and Katie Fox, at The National Archives, and by Dr Robert Blyth, at the National Maritime Museum.