Department of History
Welcome to the Department of History, ranked 3rd in The Complete University Guide (2020) and The Times Good University Guide (2020). We are a successful, expanding department, engaged in teaching and research across an exceptional range of chronological, geographical and thematic areas. World Rankings
Record success in QS World Subject Rankings
Durham is one of the world’s leading universities as shown by our world top 100 position in the QS World University Rankings 2019, where we are ranked 74th
A record 18 Durham subjects are also in the world top 100 of the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2019, including ten in the world top 50 and three in the world top ten.
Durham gains highest-ever global ranking in Arts & Humanities
The Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings by Subject 2020 place Durham University 27th among the world’s leading universities – up three places from last year. This is the fifth consecutive year we’ve ranked in the top 30 for Arts and Humanities in this league table.
Events and Seminars
Tuesday 4 February 2020
- DUCCAH Seminar Series 2019-20 5:15pm to 6:30pm, Seminar Room 1, History Department, 43 North Bailey, Nicki Kindersley (Cambridge University)
Tuesday 11 February 2020
- History Society Talk - Panel Discussion 7:00pm, Seminar Room 1, History Department, 43 North Bailey
Wednesday 12 February 2020
- Durham Early Modern Research Group Seminar 5:00pm to 6:30pm, Seminar Room 1, History Department, 43 North Bailey, Prof Suzannah Lipscomb (Roehampton)
Wednesday 19 February 2020
- Transnational History Working Group Meeting 2:00pm to 3:00pm, To be confirmed
Thursday 20 February 2020
- DUCCAH Seminar Series 2019-20 5:15pm to 6:30pm, Seminar Room 1, History Department, 43 North Bailey, Brian Willan (Rhodes University)
Wednesday 26 February 2020
- Durham Early Modern Research Group Seminar 5:00pm to 6:00pm, Seminar Room 1, History Department, 43 North Bailey, Prof Andrew Hopper (Leicester)
Our top stories
New article published by Dr Kevin Waite
Article published in the Los Angeles Times by Dr Kevin Waite: Op-Ed: California's forgotten slave history
(21 Jan 2020)
New Publication by Dr Lauren Working
Lauren received her PhD from Durham in 2016, and her first book is out next week with Cambridge University Press:
The book is based on the research that was conducted with funding from the Durham Arts and Humanities doctoral scheme.
(17 Jan 2020)
Department of History
43 North Bailey
Tel: +44 (0) 191 334 1048
Athena Swan Award
In October 2018 the Department of History was delighted to achieve the 'Athena Swan Bronze Award' recognising our commitment to advancing women's careers in academia, progressing our students into academia and improving our work environment for all staff. Find out more information here.