Department of History
Welcome to the Department of History, ranked 2nd in The Complete University Guide (2019) and The Guardian University Guide (2019). We are a successful, expanding department, engaged in teaching and research across an exceptional range of chronological, geographical and thematic areas.
Wide Range of PhD and MA Funding Available – application by early January 2019, for full funding details and deadlines please visit https://www.dur.ac.uk/history/postgraduate/feesandfunding/
Events and Seminars
Wednesday 21 November 2018
- Early Modern History Seminar Series 5:00pm, Seminar Room 1 (HS110), History Department, 43 North Bailey, Julie Farguson (Oxford)
Thursday 22 November 2018
- Economic and Social History Group Meeting 1:00pm to 2:00pm, Room 202, History Dept, 43 North Bailey, Harry Cross
Tuesday 27 November 2018
- Historiography, Theory, Sources and Methods PhD Reading Group 4:00pm to 5:00pm, Room 309, History Department, 43 North Bailey, Barbara Crosbie and Andy Wood
Thursday 6 December 2018
- Economic and Social History Group Meeting 1:00pm to 2:00pm, Room 202, History Dept, 43 North Bailey, Kathleen Reynolds
Tuesday 11 December 2018
- Historiography, Theory, Sources and Methods PhD Reading Group 4:00pm to 5:00pm, Room 309, Department of History, 43 North Bailey, Adrian Green and Andy Wood
Our top stories
Athena Swan Bronze Award
In October 2018 the Department of History was delighted to achieve the 'Athena Swan Bronze Award' recognising our commitment to advancing women's careers in academia, progressing our students into academia and improving our work environment for all staff. For more information please follow link.
(31 Oct 2018)
Congratulations to Eleanor Barraclough
The winners of the Excellence in Learning and Teaching Awards have just been announced, following a number of high-calibre applications.
Congratulations to Eleanor Barraclough who has been awarded an Excellence in Learning and Teaching Award https://www.dur.ac.uk/news/newsitem/?itemno=34856
(6 Jun 2018)
New Publication by Professor Michael Prestwich
A Short History of the Hundred Years War by Professor Michael Prestwich (https://www.dur.ac.uk/directory/profile/?id=405) has recently been published.
(8 May 2018)