Location & Buildings
The College of St Hild and St Bede is the largest college at Durham University. It is set in 16 acres of beautiful park-like grounds along the north bank of the River Wear. The city centre is within a 5-minute walk and the most distant departments can be similarly reached within 15 minutes.
The original building of St Hild's College (above) dates from 1857 when it to housed female students and staff along with the main support and teaching facilities. Over subsequent years extensions were added to the study bedroom spaces and these areas retain their original names: "New Dorm", "Upper Precincts", "Lawrence Wing" etc.
The building now houses 163 students as well as the main administrative and student support services, plus specific student facilities that occupy some of the former teaching space. A £2.9M renovation programme was undertaken on the inside of the building in 2003.