Dr Iain Lindsey
Iain joined Durham University in August 2014 having previously been employed as a researcher, lecturer and researcher at Loughborough, Southampton and Edge Hill Universities. He has a BSc in Mathematics from University of Edinburgh, an MA in Sports Development from Cheltenham & Gloucester College of Higher Education and a PhD in Sport Policy from Loughborough University.
Iain’s research has primarily examined sport policy and development, especially youth sport policy in the UK and the use of sport for development in Africa. This research has undertaken both at global and national levels as well as in a variety of local and community contexts. Iain's research is underpinned by theories and methodologies from the fields of political science and international development. In doing so, particular issues that are of interest to Iain are governance and partnership working, evidence-based policy and sustainable development.
Iain has published widely in sport, development and politics journals. He has co-authored two mongraphs: Sport Policy in Britain (with Professor Barrie Houlihan, Loughborough University) and Localizing Global Sport for Development (with Tess Kay, Ruth Jeanes and Davies Banda). His research has been supported by grants and consultancy from the Leverhulme Trust, Commonwealth Secretariat, Sport and Recreation Alliance and UK Sport.
Sustainability Evaluation of Health Kicks in Southampton (£20,254, Comic Relief and Southampton FC, with Kevin Harris, Southampton Solent University, 2010-2013)
Evaluation of UK / Ghana Sports Equipment Project (£7638, International Development through Sport / UK Sport, Jimmy O’Gorman, Edge Hill University, 2011-2013)
Sustainable Development in African Sport (£97,118, Leverhulme Trust, with Dr Emmanuel Owusu-Ansah, University of Ghana, Dr Hamad Ndee, University of Dar es Salaam, Dr Adam Zakariah, University for Development Studies, Dr Ruth Jeanes, Monash University, 2011-2014)
BILD programme sustainability research (£15,000, International Development through Sport / UK Sport, with Dr Hamad Ndee, Dr Ruth Jeanes, 2012-2014)
I welcome enquries and applications from potential PhD students who share any of my research interests listed below
- Lindsey, I. & Chapman, T. (2017). Enhancing the Contribution of Sport to the Sustainable Development Goals. Commonwealth Secretariat.
- Lindsey, I., Kay, T., Jeanes, R. & Banda, D. (2017). Localizing global sport for development. Manchester: Manchester University Press.
- Lindsey,I. & Houlihan, B. (2013). Sport Policy in Britain. Abingdon: Routledge.
Chapter in book
- Lindsey, I. (2019). Ownership of Sport for Development and Peace. In Who Owns Sport?. Adams, A. & Robinson, L. Routledge.
- Lindsey I. & Bitugu, B.B. (2018). Partnerships in and around SDP. In Routledge Handbook of Sport for Development and Peace. Collison, H., Darnell, S.C., Giulianotti, R. & Howe, P.D. Routledge.
- Lindsey, I., Jeanes, R. & Lihaya, H. (2016). Sport Development Policy. In Managing Sport Development: An international approach. Sherry, E., Schulenkorf, N. & Phillips, P. Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge. 45-60.
- Lindsey, I., Zakariah, A.B.T., Owusu-Ansah, E., Ndee, H. & Jeanes, R. (2015). Researching ‘Sustainable Development in African Sport’ A case study of a North-South academic collaboration. In Beyond Sport for Development and Peace: Transnational Perspectives on Theory, Policy and Practice. Hayhurst, L.M.C., Kay, T. & Chawansky, M. Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge. 196-209.
- Jeanes, R. & Lindsey, I. (2014). Where’s the ‘Evidence’? Reflecting on Monitoring and Evaluation within Sport-for-Development. In Sport, Social Development and Peace. Young, K. & Okada, C. Bingley: Emerald. 197-218.
- Lindsey, I. & Adams, A. (2013). Sport Development and Community Development. In Handbook of Sport Policy. Henry, L. & Ko, L.M. London: Routledge. 264-274.
- Lindsey, I. (2011). Partnership Working and Sport Development. In Handbook of Sport Development. Houlihan, B. & Green, M. London: Routledge.
- Lindsey, I. & Jeanes, R. (2011). Youth Sport Policy. In Introduction to Sport Pedagogy for Teachers and Coaches. K. Armour.
- Houlihan, B. & Lindsey, I. (2008). Networks and partnerships in sports development. In Management of Sports Development. Girginov, Vassil. Oxford, UK, Elsevier.
- Lindsey, I. (2020). Analysing policy change and continuity: Physical education and school sport policy in England since 2010. Sport, Education and Society 25(1): 27-42.
- Lindsey, I. , Chapman, T. & Dudfield, O. (2020). Configuring relationships between state and non-state actors: A new conceptual approach for sport and development. International Journal of Sport Policy and Politics 12(1): 127-146.
- Metcalfe, Sarah Nicola & Lindsey, Iain (2020). Gendered trends in young people’s participation in active lifestyles: The need for a gender-neutral narrative. European Physical Education Review 26(2): 535-551.
- Lindsey, I., Metcalfe, S., Gemar, A., Armstrong, J. & Alderman, J. (2020). Simplistic policy, skewed consequences: Taking stock of English physical education, school sport and physical activity policy since 2013. European Physical Education Review
- Chapman, P., Lindsey, I. , Dodd-Reynolds, C. , Oliver, E. & Summerbell, C. (2020). Targeting childhood obesity through primary schools: reviewing alignment amongst English policies for physical activity and healthy eating. Child and Adolescent Obesity 3(1): 20-41.
- Lindsey, I. & Darby, P. (2019). Sport and the Sustainable Development Goals: Where is the policy coherence?. International Review for the Sociology of Sport 54(7): 793-812.
- Lindsey, I. & Bitugu, B.B. (2018). Distinctive policy diffusion patterns, processes and actors: Drawing implications from the case of sport in international development. Policy Studies 39(4): 444-464.
- Adams, A., Harris, K. & Lindsey, I. (2018). Examining the capacity of a sport for development programme to create social capital. Sport in society 21(3): 558-573.
- Lindsey, I. (2017). Governance in sport-for-development: Problems and possibilities of (not) learning from international development. International Review for the Sociology of Sport 52(7): 801-818.
- Oliver, E.J., Hanson, C.L., Lindsey, I.A. & Dodd-Reynolds, C.J. (2016). Exercise on referral: Evidence and complexity at the nexus of public health and sport policy. International Journal of Sport Policy and Politics 8(4): 731-736.
- Lindsey, I. & Bacon, D. (2016). In pursuit of evidence-based policy and practice: A realist synthesis-inspired examination of youth sport and physical activity initiatives in England (2002-2010). International Journal of Sport Policy and Politics 8(1): 67-90.
- Lindsey, I. & O'Gorman, J. (2015). Not just playing the game: Possibilities of empowerment through an alternative type of engagement with sport in international development. Sociology of Sport Journal 32(1): 49-67.
- Lindsey, I. (2013). Community Collaboration in Development Work with Young People: Perspectives from Zambian Communities. Development in Practice 23(4): 481-495.
- Lindsey, I. (2013). Prospects for local collaboration into an uncertain future: Learning from practice within Labour’s partnership paradigm. Local Government Studies 40(2): 312-330.
- Lindsey, I. & Grattan, A. (2012). An ‘international movement'? Decentering sport-for-development within Zambian communities. International Journal of Sport Policy and Politics 4(1): 91-110.
- Lindsey, I. & Banda, D. (2011). Sport and the fight against HIV / AIDS in Zambia: A ‘partnership’ approach? International Review of Sociology of Sport 46(1): 90-107.
- Lindsey et al (2010). ‘Adventures in Research’ Enabling Community Impact through Sport for Development Research. Leisure Studies Association Newsletter (May: Issue 85).
- Lindsey, I. (2010). Governance of Lottery Sport Programmes: national direction of local partnerships in the new opportunities for PE and Sport Programme. Managing Leisure: An International Journal 15(3): 198-213.
- Lindsey, I. (2009). Collaboration in local sport services in England: issues emerging from case studies of two local authority areas. International Journal of Sport Policy 1(1): 71-88.
- Lindsey, I. (2008). Conceptualising sustainability in sports development. Leisure Studies 27(3): 279-294.
- Lindsey, I. (2006). Local Partnerships in the United Kingdom for the New Opportunities for PE and Sport Programme: A Policy Network Analysis. European Sport Management Quarterly 6(2): 167-184.