We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.


Welfare and support

Studying for a postgraduate degree is intensive and hard work. 

Postgraduates often have less time than undergraduates to find out about the University as a whole and the city in which they are studying. The supportive college setting provides a unique community where you can make friends easily, with opportunities to socialise. Every college has a diverse mix of students and staff from different academic disciplines, backgrounds, nationalities and cultures creating an inclusive, welcoming environment for everyone.


Dedicated College Staff
Each college has dedicated staff and a comprehensive support system of tutors / mentors and welfare officers designed to enable you to make the most of your time as a student, support you through difficult times and provide advice on a range of issues students sometimes find themselves facing.

Senior Tutor / Vice-Principal 
Each college has a Senior Tutor or Vice-Principal who can provide you with impartial advice and guidance on issues related to your personal well-being and your academic progress, such as health, financial, family, academic or personal problems. They can help you navigate your way through University regulations and will also be able to refer you to any specialist support services, such as the Service for Students with Disabilities and the Counselling Service.

Head of College
Usually called the Principal or Master, each college head is also a senior academic within the University. As Head of the college, they have overall responsibility for all aspects of the college management, as well as leading the college community.

Student Welfare Officers
Each college has its own student welfare officers, elected by the student body. Their role is to provide advice on basic welfare issues, refer you to the right sources of support, and raise awareness of welfare issues.

As well as the support services within your college, there are a number of University Student Support Services to help with specific issues.