MLA North East and Durham University Collections Care FrameworkThis scheme which started in July 2002 provided advice and training in collection care to libraries, archives and museums with paper based collections throughout the north east. In April 2006 it expanded to provide preservation advice on museum objects as well, in partnership with the NE Museums Hub. In September 2007 it won the Award for Care of Collections at the 2007 Conservation Awards.
The North East Collections Care Framework responds to requests for advice on storage conditions, disaster planning, benchmarks and other preservation issues, and can organise training days on practical topics such as the care, handling and cleaning of collections.
- Guide to cleaning books (last modified: 8 January 2008)
- Guide to making book supports (last modified: 12 December 2006)
- Guide to making four flap folders (last modified: 31 May 2006)
- Guidelines for cleaning objects (last modified: 16 July 2008)
- Introduction to the North East Collections Care Framework (last modified: 10 February 2006)
- Request Form for North East Collections Care Framework (last modified: 10 February 2006)
Work for the University Library includes:
Preservation and collection care
- Environmental monitoring and integrated pest management throughout the collections.
- Checking through new accessions in the decontamination room
- Training of staff in the care and handling of collections
- Advising on day to day preservation issues.
- Maintenance of a disaster plan
- Repackaging collections
- Exhibitions : digital photography, creation of surrogates and mounting
Remedial conservation of the collections
- Paper conservation by hand and by leafcasting
- Parchment repair
- Architectural drawings
- Book conservation
Palace Green Library
Tel: +44 (0)191 334 2972