Volunteering and Outreach
There's never been a better time to think about how you can make a difference. Find out more about the range of opportunities available through Student Volunteering and how you can get involved.
It might not be possible to volunteer in many of the usual ways but there has never been a more important time to support your community wherever you are in the world.
We know that thousands of students are making a difference to those around them every day. We'd love to hear what you're doing - please let us know, send us a blog, a short film or a picture and we'll post it online, or send them to us via Instagram #DUInspire.
Adapted online projects
We've adapted a range of our core projects so you can volunteer online. Examples include:
- One-to-one tutoring: students are teaming-up with families based on subject interest to support young people through their study
- Project Access: where students give online mentoring to pupils from disadvantaged areas all over the world to navigate the process of applying and getting into Universities
- Generations together pen pals: students are busy writing letters, poetry and drawing pictures for the residents of care homes
- Code Club: our student project leaders are offering online coding support to young people registered on the programme
- Music lessons: we have teamed up with Music Durham to offer singing lessons and musical instrument tutorials to families. Other projects such as Project Access, this is where students give online mentoring to pupils from disadvantaged areas all over the world to navigate the process of applying and getting into Universities is already set up as an online project.
New online volunteering opportunities
We are continuously identifying new projects based on the requests of the community and some fantastic student ideas and we will be advertising new opportunities on a regular basis. At the moment these include working with local Youth offending prisons to produce activity packs, creating ‘Bitesize versions of degree courses’ for school children, developing ‘Just play’ activities for nursery children and supporting a young Athletes mentor scheme.
New to volunteering?
All volunteer training is now available online as ‘live’ workshops. You can register online and sign up to receive weekly newsletters about all of our volunteering and training opportunities which can also be found on our Facebook and Instagram - don't forget to include #DUInspire!