We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Durham University

Colleges & wider student experience

Register with a doctor in Durham

Your choice of medical practice will be determined by the area in which you live, so that you can get to the practice easily and a doctor can visit you if the practice considers a home visit necessary.

The practice area of the Claypath and University Medical Group covers the University and Colleges and the majority of new students register with this practice:
Claypath and University Medical Group, University Health Centre, Green Lane, Old Elvet, Durham, DH1 3JX
: 0191 386 5081

You can start the process of registration with Claypath and University Medical Group before you arrive in Durham, online forms can be handwritten or completed digitally using a fill in and sign tool. The practice will accept electronic versions by email, including scanned or photographed forms:

  • return completed form and questionnaire by email to, or post by 20 September 2019.

Overseas students
The GMS1 also asks for an NHS number which you will only have if you have previously registered with a GP in the UK. If you have not previously registered then you will receive an NHS number on registration.

Note for students using Chinese email addresses:
Some Chinese email addresses may have trouble sending documents to an NHS address. If you have a Chinese email address and wish to submit your documents via email, we recommend using an iCloud, Yahoo or Outlook email address in order to avoid any issues or delays.

If you are a student from the United Kingdom you will need to bring your National Health Service Medical Card with you when you come to University.

Students who have a long term medical condition requiring medication are advised to ensure that they have sufficient medication for the initial couple of months in Durham, as standard practice during any registration transition.

Once you are registered with a medical practice in Durham, you will need to complete a temporary resident form when you are elsewhere in the UK and need to see a Doctor.

There are other medical practices in Durham and a full list with locations can be found at Durham Medical Practices. If you wish to register with a practice, other than Claypath and University Medial Group, please complete the (NHS) Family Doctor Services Registration Form (GMS1) and on arrival in Durham take the form to the medical practice in person with a form of photo id and proof of address.