Careers and Internships Fair 2017
(20 October 2017)
The Careers and Internship Fair taking place on Tuesday 24 and Wednesday 25 October in the Howlands Building, is one of a series of events organised by the Careers, Employability and Enterprise Centre allowing students to meet employers on campus and find out about the work experience and graduate job opportunities available to them.
Over two days, seventy graduate recruiters from a wide range of sectors will be on campus with the aim of talking to students about graduate schemes, internships and placement opportunities.
There will also be Careers Advisers on site, available for drop-in appointments to discuss all aspects of career planning including interview preparation and CV checking.
Sectors represented at the Careers and Internship Fair include;
- Professional Services
- Public Sector
- Management Consultancy
- Social Work
- IT & Digital
- Third Sector
- Oil & Gas
Top tips for making the most of the Careers and Internship Fair:
- Check the Careers Centre website before the event for a list of attendees and decide who you would like to speak to and why.
- Prepare by researching employers and thinking about questions to ask prior to the event.
- Attend one of the preparation sessions designed to help you make the most of the fair.
- Don’t walk away if other students are waiting to speak to an employer you’re interested in. Listen to the questions they are asking; they can give you useful information on the organisation.
- Employers will want to know about you too, so be confident, tell them what degree you’re doing, what year you’re in and why you’ve approached them.
- After speaking to an employer write down the name of the person you spoke to and any tips, information or contact details that they gave you.
Two further careers fairs take place in November; the STEM Careers and Internship Fair on the 7 & 8 November, and the Law Fair on the 21 & 22 November.
Range of Careers events
Students can also meet employers at a range of recruitment and skills development events throughout the academic year, including corporate presentations, promotional giveaways, networking dinners and workshops. There are also employers on campus regularly throughout the year offering mock interviews, assessment centres and CV checks; for a full calendar of events students can log in to the Student Services Portal.
The Careers and Internship Fair takes place on Tuesday 24 and Wednesday 25 October, 12 – 3pm, in the Howlands Building, Durham.
Find out how student Thomas Brace went from Intern to Employee through his placement with Newcastle based company Kimodo Digital.
Further Careers information
For more information visit the Careers Centre website, or visit the Careers, Employability and Enterprise Centre in the Palatine Centre, Durham or the Ebsworth Building, Queen’s Campus. Students at Queen’s Campus can travel to the Careers and Internship Fair for free using the intercampus bus service, and a free shuttle bus will be available from various stops along the route from Hild Bede College to The New Inn throughout the duration of the fair.