We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Durham University

Colleges & wider student experience

Undergraduate residence charges

Durham University is a collegiate university and there are 17 colleges in total. There are 16 colleges that accept undergraduate students.

Whilst every college has accommodation available, because of our varied and historic estate, there are different types of accommodation available depending on the college you are allocated. For example, a college may offer entirely single, en-suite, self-catered accommodation and therefore you cannot share a room or have any type of catered let in this college. As an alternative example, another college may offer standard, catered lets and limited en-suite facilities.

Please note: occupancy periods and accommodation charges may vary at the two recognised colleges. These are St Chad's College and St John's College.

Whatever college you are allocated to, you will find a warm welcome and a community of students and staff who will help ensure your time at Durham is a successful and happy experience.


Note: Not all options are available in all Colleges. Please contact the individual College for further information

Accommodation for the academic year, to include either Induction or Congregation week

Accommodation for the academic year

Residence Including Catering*

(meals included during Induction Week and undergraduate term time)

Single Standard Rooms (shared bathroom facilities)



Single En-suite Rooms **



International Induction Supplement for Additional Accommodation


Residence with Self-Catering

Single Standard Rooms (shared bathroom facilities)



Single En-suite Rooms **



International Induction Supplement for Additional Accommodation



Shared Room



Single Room - Paired bathroom (Shared between two rooms)



No Sink




¾ or double bed



Vacation Buy Back Rate

Not available on request and only applicable in colleges where the University requires separate use of residential rooms during the Christmas and/or Easter vacation periods.

-£263 (per vacation period)

-£263 (per vacation period)

*Residence Including Catering

Catering is provided from the Sunday dinner prior to induction week for all new first year students with the exception of new international students arriving for international induction when the catering provision starts from the Wednesday dinner prior to induction week. For returning students catering is provided from the Sunday dinner before Michaelmas term commences.

The catering provided will be breakfast (including cooked breakfast option), lunch and dinner every day, Monday-Sunday, for the duration of the undergraduate terms. Term dates are published here. Students remaining in residence during undergraduate vacation periods may be able to purchase additional meal tickets. Students may be required to obtain meals from a different college during vacation periods.

Students should always regularly check times with their college as changes to service may occur from time to time.

**En-suite rooms

A student who requires an en-suite room as a result of a disability as defined by the Equality Act 2010 and that this requirement for en-suite is supported by appropriate medical or diagnostic evidence, will not be charged the supplements for these facilities where both standard and en-suite facilities exist in their allocated College.

If you would like to find out about the financial support that may be available to you, please visit our student financial support pages: