We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.


College communities

Junior Common Rooms

Each college has a Junior Common Room (JCR): the collective term for all undergraduates in that college. (At the College of St Hild and St Bede, this is known as a Student Representative Council, or SRC). The JCR is a community run by students for students. Each JCR arranges a number of events and activities each term, as well as heading up welfare initiatives and representing student views. You can find out more about each college's JCR via the links below:

Middle Common Rooms

Colleges also have a Middle (or Graduate) Common Room (MCR/GCR). This is a community of postgraduate students who, like the JCRs, arrange a number of termly events and represent student views. 

Senior Common Rooms 

The senior common room (SCR) in each college is comprised of college officers and staff, other University staff members, college alumni and interested members of the local community. The SCR plays a key role in encouraging the junior members of the college (undergraduates and postgraduates) to engage with staff and the local community, and provides opportunities for members of the SCR to socialise together.