January 2021 start
We are pleased to announce that we are now offering a January 2021 start date, in addition to the September 2020 start date for our MSc Accounting, MSc Finance, MSc Finance (Accounting and Finance), MSc Management, MSc Management (Finance) and MSc Marketing programmes.
We will be communicating with you on a regular basis in connection with your place on a Masters programme at Durham University Business School to keep you up to date about your offer, your programme, your choices for this coming academic year, the School and the University to enable you to make the decisions you need to.
We will also be running Online Information Sessions every two weeks to give you an opportunity to chat to us and ask us your questions.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I change my programme to a January 2021 start option?
Our Admissions Team will be in touch via email soon to inform you of how to request a deferral to January 2021.
2. If I decided to move from an October 2020 start date, when will the January 2021 programme start?
Your teaching will begin on the 11th January 2021 so you will have to be in Durham on or around the 4th January 2021. Your programme will officially end on the 3rd January 2022.
3. Which programmes will be starting in Jan 2021?
MSc Finance, MSc Finance (Accounting and Finance), MSc Management, MSc Management (Finance), MSc Marketing, MSc Accounting.
4. Will it be the same programme as the October 2020 intake?
5. How long will the programme be?
6. If I start my programme in January 2021, when will I graduate?
You will graduate in Spring 2022 (March/April) and be able to attend celebrations in Durham in June /July 2022. Your programme will officially end on the 3rd January 2022.
7. When/how do I complete my pre-sessional English Programme for a January 2021 start?
If you are invited to attend a pre-sessional online English programme over the summer, you must attend this. If you receive your offer later in the year and/or are not invited to attend a programme over the summer, then you will be invited to attend an online pre-sessional programme later in the year.
8. How do I change my offer from a September 2020 start date to a January 2021 start date?
If were an offer holder by the start of July for one of our Masters programme with an additional January 2021 start date, you will have received an email on Friday 3 July which contained a link to the form where you can change your place to a January 2021 start. Offer holders after that date will receive this email about one week after their offer is made.
9. If I change from October 2020 to January 2021 entry will I still maintain my scholarship offer?
10. Will I be able to travel to the UK and is it safe to come to the UK to study?
11. If I need to undertake two weeks self-isolation when I enter the UK, will the University support me with this ie will University accommodation be available to me?
The University is currently investigating options for assisting students with any arrival quarantine periods laid down by the UK Government. More information will be made available shortly.
12. Will I be able to undertake international trips?
As the health and well-being of our students is our main priority, opportunities to travel to international locations may not be able to happen. If further or continued government restrictions necessitate, we will deliver these important global learning experiences virtually.
13. If I come to Durham, will I be taught face-to-face?
Your health and well-being is our number one priority. At the present time, we are looking forward to welcoming you to Durham. If social distancing measures are still in place, some of your lectures may take place virtually, but it is planned that many other academic activities will take place face-to-face. Current government guidelines may change between now and October 2020 and/or January 2021 and we are constantly monitoring the situation. More guidance around this can be found here
14. Colleges/Accommodation - When do I apply and what are my options?
You do not need to apply now. When you have deferred your place at Durham to a January 2021 start, the Accommodation Office will contact you directly and advise you to apply as soon as possible.
15. Types of accommodation
There will be Durham University accommodation and private accommodation available for you, as the University will ring-fence rooms for January starters. The types of postgraduate accommodation at Durham can be viewed here. If you are interested in private accommodation whilst studying in Durham, please find out more here.
16. Price of accommodation
Accommodation will be offered at 2020/21 rates until September 2021. After this you will have the option to extend your accommodation to December 2021.
17. Can I defer my place to October 2021?
Guaranteed an offer, as long as you meet the academic conditions for that programme. Scholarship cannot be deferred more information available here
18. If I decide not to take my place at all in Durham, can I obtain a refund for my academic course deposit?
19. When will I get my CAS, can I process my VISA?
It is difficult to provide advice regarding visa time frames and the visa application process at the moment, but we are monitoring the situation closely. You may find information and guidance published by the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) helpful. More information around this can be found here.
20. Will there be an ongoing January start date for Masters programmes at Durham?
There is only a January intake planned for 2021 at this time.