Publication details for Dr Martin SchröderM. Schröder (2008). Engineering eukaryotic protein factories. Biotechnology Letters 30(2): 187-196.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0141-5492, 1573-6776
- DOI: 10.1007/s10529-007-9524-1
- Keywords: Unfolded protein response, Endoplasmic reticulum, Molecular chaperone, Recombinant protein production, Heterologous protein production, Protein folding.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
The biopharmaceuticals market is currently outperforming the pharmaceuticals market and is now valued at US$ 48 billion with an average annual growth of 19%. Behind this success is a 100-fold increase in productivities of eukaryotic expression systems. However, the productivity per cell has remained unchanged for more than 10 years. The engineering of the ER-resident protein folding machinery is discussed together with an overview of signal transduction pathways activated by heterologous protein overexpression to increase cell specific productivities.