Department of Biosciences
The Department of Biosciences is composed of 51 academic staff and research fellows with research and teaching interests that span the broad spectrum of the Biosciences. The Department studies biology from the smallest to the largest scales; from the structures and functions of biological molecules, through to cells, tissues and organisms and to the entire global ecosystem. The interests of academic staff include all types of living organisms, from bacteria, through the plant and animal kingdoms, to human health and disease. The Department also has strong interdisciplinary links with the physical and social sciences. With excellent facilities for carrying out both teaching and research, we offer high quality undergraduate teaching programmes, and a supportive environment for research staff and postgraduate students.
The Department ranks in the top ten UK Biology Departments for research impact and contributes to multidisciplinary University initiatives in the Bio-X-network.
The Department has superb core research facilities.
Should you not find the information you are looking for in our web pages please contact us.
Professor Keith Lindsey
Head of Department
We also support teaching programmes in Natural Sciences.
To find out more about the Department, please use the links on the left of your browser, or contact us directly.
Seminars coming up
Thursday 23 November 2017
- Can we drive the generation and fate of new cells in the adult central nervous system? 1:00pm to 2:00pm, L50, Psychology, Dr Sue Deuchars, University of Leeds, Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Thursday 30 November 2017
Thursday 7 December 2017
- The origins and evolution of human malaria parasites 1:00pm, L50, Psychology, Prof. Paul Sharp, Edinburgh University, Contact email@example.com
Thursday 14 December 2017
- “What makes lipids sticky and are they bad for you? – Biological effects of oxidized phospholipids and how to detect them” 1:00pm, L50, Psychology, Prof. Corinne Spickett, Aston University, Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- PhD Advertisements for the next academic year can be found here https://t.co/bsxzjSaFga or https://t.co/OcnH6SoGjR
Tweeted 17 Nov 2017
- RT @rebecca_quelch: Would anyone be interested in coming to chat to the PG community of @DurBiol in a careers session we're organising? 1/n…
Tweeted 02 Nov 2017
- RT @DurhamBioSoc: First departmental seminar of the year! Should be great and hope to see as many of you there as possible #BeThere…
Tweeted 12 Oct 2017
+44 (0)191 3341200