Durham Castle Lecture - Prof. Stefan Collini
Emeritus Professor of Intellectual History and English Literature, University of Cambridge
Mind your language: the vocabulary of higher education today
The far-reaching changes in the character of Britain’s universities in recent decades have been accompanied by - in part legitimated by, perhaps even facilitated by - a striking transformation in the everyday vocabulary of academic life. This lecture does not aim to make fun of various neologisms or to lament the infelicities of official documents (well, maybe a little). Instead, it asks what these linguistic shifts tell us about the real nature of the ‘reforms’ of higher education and how they relate to more fundamental shifts in society and social attitudes. The aims and objectives of the lecture do not include quantifiable deliverables; customers are recommended to bring their own supplies of salt.
Stefan Collini is Professor of Intellectual History and English Literature. After degrees at Cambridge and Yale, he taught at the University of Sussex before moving to a post in the Faculty in 1986. He is a Fellow of the British Academy, a frequent contributor to The London Review of Books The Times Literary Supplement, The Guardian, The Nation, and other periodicals, and an occasional broadcaster.
Doors open at 7.30pm. Seats are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. No ticket is required.
Lecture commences at 8pm.
Contact email@example.com for more information about this event.
- RT @thom_brooks: Speaking to @DUBarSoc in @durhamcastle https://t.co/5c43j3J3I1
Tweeted 3 days ago
- RT @dumuseums: Curator’s Choice Talk @durhamcastle 5.30pm today - the Curator will talk about recent heritage work and explore some of the…
Tweeted 4 days ago
- RT @rpwhaite: Stage set for @MHNEtweets charity fashion show @durhamcastle #walkyourway https://t.co/pEbmlYvHB0
Tweeted 5 days ago
- RT @Discover_Durham: Huge congratulations to @Beamish_Museum & @durhamcastle on being awarded the @VisitEngland Visitor Attraction Accolade…
Tweeted 1 week ago
- @davvyk @Discover_Durham @ThisisDurham @Beamish_Museum @VisitEngland Lovely photos, thanks!
Tweeted 1 week ago