Meet some of our sporting captains and Vice-Chancellor’s Scholars
Vice-Chancellor’s Scholars demonstrate how the scholarship has benefitted them. Vice-Chancellor's Scholarships are available to those who demonstrate excellence (e.g. participation at a national or international level) in sport, music and the arts and provide a financial contribution to the successful applicants. See more at www.durham.ac.uk/scholarships
We're pleased to offer both Undergraduate and Postgraduate scholarships for exceptional sportsmen and women. Click on the relevant sections below to find out more about the opportunities avaliable.
We believe in creating an environment in which academic excellence can be combined with opportunities for personal development. One of the most rewarding ways our students further their personal development is by taking part in the wide range of extra-curricular activities on offer at Durham. Specifically, our students are amongst the most talented in the country in the field of sport.
We are therefore pleased to offer three different undergraduate scholarship opportunities for sport; Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarships, Weldon-le Huray Scholarships and Palatinate Scholarships
Applications are particularly welcome from Ethnic Minority groups and candidates who come from neighbourhoods with low overall progression to higher education or high levels of socio economic deprivation.
Relationship between the three potential Scholarship Opportunities
Vice Chancellor’s Scholarship applications tend to be dominated by applicants who are able to demonstrate excellence in sport at the very highest (national) level whilst Palatinate Scholarship applications are encouraged from those who may be competing at just below the national level. Both of these opportunities are complemented by our Weldon-le Huray Scholarship which is specifically designed to offer further opportunities to applicants from lower family income households.
Applicants wishing only to be considered for a Palatinate Scholarship award need only complete a Palatinate Scholarship application. However, if a prospective student chooses to apply for a Vice Chancellor’s Scholarship or a Weldon-le Huray Scholarship; then a Palatinate Scholarship application is not necessary as unsuccessful Vice Chancellor’s and Weldon-le Huray scholarship applications will automatically be considered alongside other Palatinate Scholarship applications.
Further details of these scholarships, including eligibility details and how to apply, can be found using the links below:
Elite Athlete Support Programme
In addition to the financial support provided by a scholarship, all our scholars will also benefit from our Elite Athlete Support Programme. This programme is specifically designed to support the very best student athletes in any sporting discipline who are aspiring to compete at University level.
Services available within the Elite AthleteSupport Programme include:
- Professional coaching structures
- Performance and individual technique video analysis
- Personalised, sport specific strength and conditioning programmes and fitness support
- Access to sport psychology support
- Enhanced access to physiotherapy and injury prevention support
- Access to comprehensive pre-season, term-time and summer season training programmes
- Enhanced lifestyle and time management support / mentoring for selected athletes
- Personalised nutritional guidance seminars and additional nutritional information
*Please note that programmes will be designed to reflect the requirements of each individual and, as such, not all of the services listed above will be available to all of the athletes within the Elite Athlete Support Programme.
For further information or advice please contact Albert Potts:
T: +44 (0)191 334 2178
We’re extremely proud of our reputation as the university that enables you to combine sporting and academic excellence. Our outstanding range of sports scholarships are awarded annually and are targeted to support high level NCAA or international athletes. In 2018/19 we won 7 national championships across all sports.
We are going into our eleventh year of recruiting postgraduate overseas student athletes and remain the only university in Britain to be offering such a vast programme for overseas students. In 2009/10 we had 18 overseas scholars across the sports of men’s basketball and men’s and women’s lacrosse. The programme has continued to grow and now we have over 100 scholars in a wide range of sports.
We are looking for people that want to keep playing their sport at a high standard for another year and have a strong drive to win a national championship.Most importantly, we want people that are keen to help develop their sport in a country where university sport and student participation is still growing.
All applications are considered on a case by case basis. There is no 4 year eligibility requirement. In order to be eligible you must:
- Compete in sport at a high level (regional, national and international levels)
- Home, EU and international students are all eligible for a sport scholarship at Durham
- As long as you are a student, you can compete for the university for as many years as you want
- In order to be eligible for a sport scholarship you must also successfully achieve a position on one of our leading postgraduate courses at Durham University
Durham University is Britain’s number one team sport university and is ranked third in Britain overall. We offer one of the most competitive and attractive scholarships available at UK universities.
Scholarships range from £7000 - £11000. Other benefits include:
- Study a postgraduate degree at one of the UK’s leading academic universities
- Compete athletically for Durham University
- Academic and athlete monitoring
- Strength and Conditioning
- Access to Sports Physiotherapy
- Access to Sport Psychology workshops and 1 to 1 support
- Sports video analysis
- Nutrition Advice and support
- Anti-doping advice
* Candidates can access Federal Aid from the US loans system and student Finances from the UK Student Loans System.