Sport at Durham University is focused around the core principles of performance, leadership, participation and community engagement. Our philosophy at Durham is to provide opportunities in sport to inspire the extraordinary.
If you are determined to pursue sport at the very highest level, whilst studying for a degree, then there are few institutions which more seamlessly, successfully and consistently combine sporting and academic excellence.
Durham University is a world renowned institution for Higher Education, set in the beautiful surroundings of a historic cathedral city. The University is Collegiate with the Colleges providing unique residential, social and welfare facilities for their students. Durham prides itself on its ability to help develop the leaders of the future and has the highest of academic standards.
Durham University is consistently ranked as a world top 100 university and in the top 6 in the UK.
Alongside performance sport we are extremely proud of our community outreach and developmental programmes. Many athletes will take advantage of opportunities to develop their leadership skills in supporting these initiatives.
We're pleased to offer both Undergraduate and Postgraduate scholarships for exceptional sportsmen and women. Click on the relevant sections below to find out more about the opportunities available.
We believe in creating an environment in which academic excellence can be combined with opportunities for personal development. One of the most rewarding ways our students further their personal development is by taking part in the wide range of extra-curricular activities on offer at Durham. Specifically, our students are amongst the most talented in the country in the field of sport.
We are therefore pleased to offer four different undergraduate scholarship opportunities for sport;
- Vice-Chancellor’s scholarships
- Weldon-le Huray scholarships
- Palatinate scholarships
- Racecourse scholarship (rugby preference)
Applications are particularly welcome from Ethnic Minority groups and candidates who come from neighbourhoods with low overall progression to higher education or high levels of socio economic deprivation.
Relationship between the four potential Scholarship opportunities
Vice Chancellor’s scholarship awards tend to be dominated by applicants who are able to demonstrate excellence in sport at the very highest (national) level; whilst Palatinate Scholarships tend to be awarded to strong applications who may be competing at just below the national level. Both of these opportunities are complemented by our Weldon-le Huray scholarships and the Racecourse scholarship which are specifically designed to offer further opportunities to applicants from lower family income households
All applicants wishing to be considered for either a Vice Chancellor’s award or a Palatinate award need only submit an application for a Vice Chancellor’s scholarship. The strongest 8-10 applications will be awarded a Vice Chancellor’s scholarship – following which up to 20 ‘near-miss’ applicants will be offered a Palatinate scholarship.
Applicants who are eligible to apply for a Weldon - le Huray scholarship or the Racecourse scholarship may also submit a Vice Chancellor’s application but only a single (highest value) award will be made to successful applicants.
Further details of these scholarships, including eligibility details and how to apply, can be found using the links below:
- Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarships
- Weldon-le Huray Scholarships
- Palatinate Scholarships
- Racecourse Scholarship
Elite Athlete Support Programme
In addition to the financial support provided by a scholarship, all our scholars will also benefit from our Elite Athlete Support Programme. This programme is specifically designed to support the very best student athletes in any sporting discipline who are aspiring to compete at University level.
Services available within the Elite Athlete Support Programme include*:
- Professional coaching structures
- Performance and individual technique video analysis
- Personalised, sport specific strength and conditioning programmes and fitness support
- Access to sport psychology support
- Enhanced access to physiotherapy and injury prevention support
- Access to comprehensive pre-season, term-time and summer season training programmes
- Enhanced lifestyle and time management support / mentoring for selected athletes
- Personalised nutritional guidance seminars and additional nutritional information
*Please note that programmes will be designed to reflect the requirements of each individual and, as such, not all of the services listed above will be available to all of the athletes within the Elite Athlete Support Programme.
For further information or advice please contact Albert Potts:
T: +44 (0)191 334 2178
We’re extremely proud of our reputation as the university that enables you to combine sporting and academic excellence. Our outstanding range of sports scholarships are awarded annually and are targeted to support high level NCAA or international athletes. In 2019/20 we qualified for 16 national championships across all sports and were awarded as co-champions due to the games unable to be played.
We are going into our twelfth year of recruiting postgraduate overseas student athletes and remain the only university in Britain to be offering such a vast programme for overseas students. In 2009/10 we had 18 overseas scholars across the sports of men’s basketball and men’s and women’s lacrosse. The programme has continued to grow and now we have over 100 scholars in a wide range of sports.
We are looking for people that want to keep playing their sport at a high standard for another year and have a strong drive to win a national championship. Most importantly, we want people that are keen to help develop their sport in a country where university sport and student participation is still growing.
All applications are considered on a case by case basis. There is no 4 year eligibility requirement. In order to be eligible you must:
- Compete in sport at a high level (regional, national and international levels)
- Home, EU and international students are all eligible for a sport scholarship at Durham
- As long as you are a student, you can compete for the university for as many years as you want
- In order to be eligible for a sport scholarship you must also successfully achieve a position on one of our leading postgraduate courses at Durham University
Durham University is Britain’s number one team sport university and is ranked third in Britain overall. We offer one of the most competitive and attractive scholarships available at UK universities.
Scholarships range from £8000 - £15000. Other benefits include:
- Study a postgraduate degree at one of the UK’s leading academic universities
- Compete athletically for Durham University
- Academic and athlete monitoring
- Strength and Conditioning
- Access to Sports Physiotherapy
- Access to Sport Psychology workshops
- Sports video analysis
- Nutrition Advice and support
- Anti-doping advice
* Candidates can access Federal Aid from the US loans system and student Finances from the UK Student Loans System.