At Durham we are recruiting the most able and talented postgraduate students from across the world. Below you will find guidance on how to apply for a postgraduate programme at Durham through our online portal*. We look forward to receiving your application and if you have any questions, do please contact us via our web form or by telephone on +44 (0)191 334 1000.
Apply for a Postgraduate Course at Durham University
Before you begin your application, please visit our website to find out more about the programmes we offer. Departmental web pages can be found at www.durham.ac.uk/departments. Departmental webpages will include lots of information about what you will study during your programme and details of any other special admissions requirements for the programme, such as guidance regarding personal statements, research proposals, supporting documentation and references. If entry to your programme involves successful completion of an interview, details of this can also be found on the relevant programme information web page.
If you want to find out more, then why not visit us at one of our Postgraduate Open Days. See www.durham.ac.uk/study/pg/visit for further details.
If you are applying for postgraduate research, please contact our academic departments before making an application to discuss your research proposal and to identify potential supervisors. Please include this information in your application.
Most postgraduate degree programmes commence in late September/early October. Some of our programmes will offer more than one entry date per year, these include:
- Our MBA postgraduate taught programme which starts in either September/October or April.
- Postgraduate research masters programmes, which normally start in September/October but may have an additional entry date in January and/or April.
- Integrated PhD programmes, which normally begin in October but may also start in January and/or April.
If alternative start dates are available, these will be listed on the course search on the portal and on the application. Please select the appropriate academic year on the course search and then select the intake you require on the application.
If you would like to commence a research degree at an alternative time during the academic year, this may be possible. Please contact the relevant Academic Department to discuss this.
In most cases, applications for postgraduate programmes can be made at any time in the academic year, provided that you allow enough time for a decision to be made on your application and for you to make any necessary arrangements (such as visa applications, if applicable) in order to arrive for your programme start date.
However, there are some postgraduate programmes which may close early due to there being a high demand for places, including Durham University Business School programmes. Please visit the relevant Academic Department’s web page for full details. Please note that if you are applying for scholarships or other funding sources, or if you are applying for a programme delivered in conjunction with a doctoral training partnership or centre, there may be additional funding application deadlines to consider when making your application to a postgraduate programme.
If you have any general questions about making an application or studying at the University, please do get in touch – we’re always happy to help! You can contact us via our web form at www.durham.ac.uk/study/askus
Check you meet the entry requirements for your chosen programme.
The standard minimum entry requirements to study a postgraduate programme at Durham University are normally:
- Achievement of an upper second class honours degree (2:1) from a UK university or an equivalent degree qualification from an overseas university. Full details of qualification equivalencies by country can be found here.
- Two satisfactory academic references.
- English language evidence may also be required if applicants are not native speakers of English.
Some academic programmes may have different or additional entry requirements. Please check the appropriate programme listing in the courses database or departmental web page. For further information on fees and funding your studies see our Fees and Costs section.
If you need to speak to us about the qualifications you hold or experience you can offer, please contact us via our webform at www.durham.ac.uk/study/askus
If you wish to apply for any of our postgraduate programmes (except for the Postgraduate Certificate in Education) please click here to register for our applicant portal. This will be your gateway to apply to study at Durham University and to information about your application. Please follow the steps below to submit your application:
- Click on “Apply for Postgraduate Study” and complete the required details to register for the applicant portal. You will receive an email asking you to verify your account. Follow the link to complete the registration process.
- Visit your portal home page and click “Create New Application”.
- Choose the programme you want to apply for using our Course Search (you can search using a key word), pick your year of entry and whether you wish to study full or part-time and then click the “Apply” button. The application will open with your chosen course pre-populated.
- You can complete the sections of your application in any order and if you wish to save your application and return to complete it later, simply press save and return to your home page. Your application will be available to resume.
- Once your application is complete, read and tick to agree to the declaration section and press submit. If your programme has an application fee, you will receive an action request to pay this. Once payment is received, or if your programme has no application fee, your application will be sent to our admissions staff for consideration.
You can keep up to date with the progress of your application and any action requests or notifications from our admissions team via your portal home page.
If our admissions team need any additional information from you to reach a decision, we will contact you via your portal (action requests) or by e-mail.
Once we have reached a decision, we will update your portal and email you with the outcome.
If your application is successful, you can view a copy of your offer letter and any conditions that apply from your portal home page. You will also be able to book a place on a pre-sessional English course, if applicable.
We very much hope that you will accept your offer but whatever you decide, you can let us know by choosing the appropriate reply in the portal. Simply use the dropdown menu next to your application on your home page to choose “View Offer”. When the page opens, you can accept or decline your offer using the buttons at the bottom of the page.
Our applicant portal provides many helpful features to keep you informed about your application and to help you progress towards becoming a student with us. We recommend that you visit the portal regularly and explore the many features it offers.
If you need any help using the portal, please contact us via our web form at www.durham.ac.uk/study/askus.
We continue to monitor the Covid-19 outbreak so we can provide up to date information and advice, and offer support as the situation develops. Please see our dedicated webpages for the latest information.
Questions about studying here?
Durham University Alumni 25% Fee Scholarship
Available to Durham graduates across all postgraduate taught Masters, LLM, MBA and PGCE programmes
Postgraduate Prospectus 2020
Interested in postgraduate study? Click to quickly download our 2020 prospectus.