Skip to main content

Foreign Loans

Durham University supports students from the USA or Canada with obtaining loans from their home country. Students receiving aid from other foreign countries should bring their loan and deferment forms to the Student Funding and Immigration Service Office in The Palatine Centre.

Contact Us


Written Communications

US Student Federal Aid Handling, Student Funding and Immigration Services, The Palatine Centre, Durham University, Stockton Road, Durham, DH1 3LE, United Kingdom.

Canadian Loans

Canadian students have the ability to borrow government loans through their province and you can find more information from the Government of Canada Student Loans website. Durham University authorises enrolment verification forms on behalf of Canadian students and you can bring your forms to the Student Funding and Immigration Services or email

Durham University's Institutional Code is PUAP.

US Loans

US citizens and eligible non-citizens can apply for William D. Ford Direct Loans, private loans through Sallie Mae or a combination of both. Direct loans interest rates are lower than Private Loans and students should investigate all options before borrowing.

Veterans Benefits

US Veterans or their dependents can use the funding to contribute towards tuition fees and living expenses and Durham University participates in the VA Educational Benefits programme.

Tax Forms

If you are seeking information about Internal Revenue Service (IRS) forms, a tax return in the United States or Canada, you should contact the Finance Department at as only tuition fees can be included on these documents and the Finance Department hold the tuition fee information.

Consumer Information

Durham University Consumer Information Disclosures as per the requirements of the US Department of Education for participating Title IV schools (OPEID 00858700).

Flags on poles

Durham University makes every effort to ensure that the information published on this page is accurate. However, the University cannot guarantee the information may not be altered owing to circumstances beyond the University's reasonable control. Such circumstances include (but are not limited to) change in Government policy, or change of law. Any changes will be incorporated into the University's website as early as possible. Any person wishing to obtain confirmation of any particular item should contact the University via